VOIP phone number

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
My current land line phone is with Virgin in a package with Broadband and TV, it is done over the broadband-they plugged my existing phone into the modem. I am going to biff Virgin off as they are too expensive and going to a new provider, probably Community fibre. My question is, is my current phone set up classed as VOIP, and will my phone still work on this new service, and would the phone number be the same, and would it even have a number?

Sponsored Links
I'm not terribly knowledgeable in this, but we have recently got BT FTTP.

That gives us 500 Broadband and a VOIP line.

I still have the same phone number I had on the old copper network, except everything runs through the BT router. I have two "lines" so if Mrs S is chatting I can pick up another phone and get a dial tone.

Whether or not your phone number is homed onto Virgin you can still take it with you. Inform your new supplier that you wish to retain the phone number when you switch. The new supply may do all the arrangements themselves or they may ask you to tell your present supplier you wish to retain the phone number and then give you a code to pass into your new supplier.
Such number 'porting' is standard industry practise and should be easier today.

a quick look on the web comes up with this

www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/switching/switching-landline

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back