Voip providers for domestic line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just looking at a possible move the Full Fibre and my ISP doesn't provide Voip. I know it needs an adaptor, to use my DECT phone set, and a Voip provider, but I cannot seem to find any but business providers. How much does Voip cost for a domestic service?

Sponsored Links
Seems expensive cheapest I’ve seen is £12 month . Mobiles are cheaper and can use voip without any special set up .
What’s wrong with a mobile ?
Emergency calls are not supported by voip .

Seems expensive cheapest I’ve seen is £12 month . Mobiles are cheaper and can use voip without any special set up .
What’s wrong with a mobile ?
Emergency calls are not supported by voip .

Nothing wrong with mobiles, that is what I now use for all outgoing calls - I was just weighing up future options. Right, £12 is ridiculously expensive, double what I pay for my all inclusive mobile service.

Landlines as we know them are on their way out .

The technology we currently use to make calls on landlines, called ‘analogue’, is being replaced with an internet-based version, called an ‘IP network’.

Landlines will still exist, and you can still have a phone line in your home - but the system that underpins it will be different.

The changeover needs to happen by December 2025, as this is when the old technology will stop working. Phone providers have already started work on switching over the network,”

Sponsored Links
You put Asterisk on your PC, the voip traffic is then created by you, and goes out in your broadband.

Last edited:
I have a number and calls with A&A which are a firm that are maybe a little "geeky" but cheap enough: https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

I haven't got a full blown Asterisk setup or anything, just a Gigaset IP DECT basestation that registers over SIP directly with A&A and it works quite nicely.

Edit: You can also do clever things like send the incoming calls to a mobile/another number if necessary, all very controllable

Like email before it it's possibly best to keep VOIP separate from your ISP as it means you can easily chop and change when the prices go up, having said that you can port numbers.
You can run Asterisk on a router running Openwrt rather than having to leave a PC running and consuming power but It's probably not necessary for a lot of domestic setups and is probably overcomplicating it.

An excellent company, been a long time user, with real support staff who know what's what.

Y me too (post #9). An example - my router was getting flakey so I asked them for a replacement. Came, connected, internet connected but wifi would not connect. Now I'm no numpty on tech stuff, but couldn't figure this - everything was on, wired worked fine. all WiFi settings looked correct. Call to tech support. (UK based) - Oh yes, I know what that is I've seen it before with this router - hang on and I'll connect in and change the settings - you'll have to give me permission when you get the pop-up. 2 mins later he'd changed the router to have separate 2.4 and 5GHz channels with separate SSIDs instead of a single combined. Then everything worked. Try that with remote support reading off a script.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back