VOIP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

The road I live in has recently had optical fibre installed and can now be connected to every house, should they want it.

I kinda want it but .......?

My wife is Japanese and frequently makes calls 'home.' At the moment, we use one of the various CPS (carrier pre-selection) numbers and the calls only cost 3p per minute.

If I sign up to FTTP, BT more of less, remove the cable and I can have VOIP, which apparently, is better. But they cannot tell me the cost per minute of calls to Japan with 'digital voice.' And I am unable to find out if the CPS number will work and offer inexpensive calls.

I have spoken with the CPS company and they are not certain either; basically, try it and see! But if it does not work, I cannot return to copper cable.

My question to the forum, do CPS (carrier pre-selection) numbers work with VOIP?

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Use WhatsApp?

we have changed to VOIP at work.
Nobody has an office phone, it works on your computer.

However that means that no emergency phones work, even those in high hazard areas.
If you chop off an arm, you have to log into your computer to make a call.

the bean counters really don’t understand how things work

Sponsored Links
If I sign up to FTTP, BT more of less, remove the cable and I can have VOIP,
You can have VOIP with any internet connection, fibre is not a requirement.
You don't need to use BT or any other internet service provider either, you can use any VOIP provider.

do CPS (carrier pre-selection) numbers work with VOIP?
No, and a facility to do so would be entirely pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back