VOIP and landline removal Emergency contacts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We used to have individual office phones, plus workshop phones.
Other phones in corridors were restricted to 999 and internal use.

The powers that be have now scrapped all phones, we use MS TEAMS via our computers and although it works ok, it means that if I was to discover a body in a corridor, I would have to rely on my mobile phone.
It also means that if a guy in a workshop severs his hand, there is no phone.
you'd have to rely on a mobile or logging into a pc.

the space is open 24/7 for many people who don't have offices (and hence a phone)

Does H&S require emergency phone lines? we could always hit the fire alarm but that would mainly evacuate the building. I don't always carry my mobile

just seems weird if a high hazard area doesn't require a hard wired phone. ( and if there's a power cut the VOIP won't work)

Sponsored Links
unfortunately these things are often not thought through.

There could be an emergency call point?

Not sure what H & S covers specifically on this, the place of work should have done a risk assessment what did that show up?.

I'm not aware of any risk assessment

I mentioned call points when I wrote to my boss but no advice yet.
What I find annoying is that even if it eventually gets resolved, we will have been exposed to a (admittedly small) risk while they sort it out. The bean counters will just have looked at the numbers.

Sponsored Links
health and safety requires a safe working environment
safe working practices
and full safety equipment for the job to hand [words to that effect]
i would have though a quick method off rendering help in an emergency in a fixed location would require a fairly simple quick "failsafe "contact method as in a land line or other hard wire alarm /help system that are not power reliant in case off power failure and simple press 2 or three buttons that you can do even if part conscious so in an automatic subconscious action

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back