vokera 20 80 flowmatic - hot water very hot then burner stop

I am expecting it to be a gas related problem but we dont give advice on those aspects and in any case it needs someone in front of the boiler to properly diagnose the problem in every case.

If I remember correctly its also a rather naughty boiler because it has live mains connections which can be touched when the case is off.

Tony

Sponsored Links
er the temperature gauge on the panel hasn't worked in years and oddly enough no one has fixed it in all the services it's had! Currently sitting at 15deg and when the water is run to get hot enough to take my hand of it reads 21degC :cry:

Agile - no worries I aint touching anything in there, that's why I have Homecare... oh buggerations lol

I beg to differ Tony. Not a gas related problem. Neither is the case off. All checks are visual.

A good engineer does not need to be in front of a boiler if correct information relayed which would then be sufficient to crack most faults. The enduser in this case has provided enough information that will lead to correct procedure and ad fix

no hot water temperature control but turns out he doesn't have the part in the van (he thought he did have) so another engineer tomorrow morning. Sigh. Stay tuned folks lol

Sponsored Links
no hot water temperature control but turns out he doesn't have the part in the van (he thought he did have) so another engineer tomorrow morning. Sigh. Stay tuned folks lol

Bet he says it needs a modureg coil as it's the only part not available

Gasinayr, then perhaps the OP should be ready to ask him/ her to check modulation during CH. If fine, cannot be modureg :evil:

I beg to differ Tony. Not a gas related problem. Neither is the case off. All checks are visual.

You seem to agree with me on the likely cause based on a statement from the OP that the boiler only runs at full burn or off.

We all think its not modding and I call that a gas problem! I include a control problem which affects modding within my defination of a "gas problem".

Voks often use rather odd design concepts. Most boilers apply a current to the mod coil to increase gas rate. If thats the case with the 20-80 then the mod coil is not going to be the fault. Although its settings could be the cause.

There may also be a temp control problem but that might result from the lack of modding.

Tony

Raptor, one wonders, as you are in Glasgow, why you did not call DP to fix your boiler when he is local and its his favourite boiler and he carries most of the spares for it?

Agile - I am on the Scottish Gas Homecare Service so figured I'd keep calling them out til they fixed it (with some help from here ) :) however when it runs out in October I may be doing exactly what you suggest

The BG guy was out yesterday and replaced the HW thermistor and now I have flowing hot water. The old unit was black at the end instead of showing the copper element.

Gasinayr4 - I was informed the water temperature gauge is not available as a replacement part so he couldn't fix that while he was out lol

thanks guys for all your help in this, DP I will be in touch re putting some work your way :D

The BG guy was out yesterday and replaced the HW thermistor and now I have flowing hot water. The old unit was black at the end instead of showing the copper element.

20/80 flowmatic does not have a thermistor. It has a hot water thermostat.
As for the temp guage not available, i beg to differ ( have a look at Gas Appliance Spares web site )

mm turns out this wasn't really fixed after all and has been getting steadily worse as time goes on.. DP looks like I have some work for you in Glasgow City Centre if you are available / interested?

DP looks like I have some work for you in Glasgow City Centre if you are available / interested?

Send me a PM or email contact details. Will contact and discuss what to do thereafter.

DP looks like I have some work for you in Glasgow City Centre if you are available / interested?

Send me a PM or email contact details. Will contact and discuss what to do thereafter.
can't send you details as no options on your profile but have sent friend request :)

raptor if anyone tells you they cannot get parts they are telling big porkie pies.

my 23 year young vokera is now due to be exchanged and all the important parts are still available although some may be recon parts.

do not think about changing your boiler unless you want to of course.

DP should be your future repair/service man after your contract with
scotgas expires.

or if scotgas cannot repair after say 5 visits tell them you want to bring in an expert and recharge them or ask for some money back from your contract,it works down south.

if scotgas change parts (often unecessary) just say to them you will dispose of the parts to save them the effort then keep them safe.

these are very robust boilers and i believe it will last you many years but do not let scotgas experiment on it.

these boilers need an expert to keep them going if any engineer comes into your house and first thing they do is turn on their laptop be very suspicious.

skodaman - the first thing they do IS open the laptop lol! I will be getting DP to come and have a look at it as I do believe there is life in the old boiler yet.

Scotgas have had 2 calls to fix this issue but because the contract runs out next month, I'll just let my walking away from the renewal be my feedback to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back