vokera 20-80 flowmatic so much wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm new to this so i hope i'm in the right place.the above boiler has a number of probs most of which i think i have in hand but the ch exp vessel is shot and my plumber tells me its an off the wall job to replace it.Can i fit an external exp vessel and if so what is the best way to plumb it in.I just read a very heated debate about this for another boiler and I think it should be doable quite easily but as i am carpenter would like a bit of advice on

1 does it have to be plumbed on the return as the fill loop is on the flow and this seems to be the easiest place to connect.
2 do I have to cap off the old one or can I just leave it as is.
3 only a 2 bed semi 7 rads what size vessel do i need.
4 do I need another prv (don't see why i should).
5 would it be better to disconect the pipe from the original vessel and connect (somehow) to this.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If maintainance clearance are in place, expansion vessel can be replaced without taking the boiler off the wall. I would check the vessel again; have changed vessels on other Vokeras but seldom on the Flowmatic

1) I would put it on the return
2) Leave it as is
3) 10l
4) No
5) If you can but you will be struggling i.e. you will have to remove the vessel to get the pipe and use same to reroute to new vessel which becomes pointless as new like for like vessel replacement would be easier.

What problem do you have that makes your plumber say it needs replacing.

well i pushed the pin in the valve and water came out so i guess that means the diaphragm is shot.
I like to do things my self but the gas valve went so I got a man in to fit new one only to find I have no hot water now either.I think this is due to the 3 port valve I have a service kit for this and a new diaphragm. but I had had pressure issues before so I looked into the exp ves to see how this works and if I'm right water coming out of the valve is terminal.
All in all I wish I'd replaced the whole damn thing but now I've put the gas valve in I'm reluctant to waste that money.
So I'm hoping to spend a day this week end ,drain down ,tackle the 3 port valve and while its drained I may as well do the exp ves aswell I think the fill loop is letting water in as well so i'll change that.
If all that does not solve the problems I will pull it off the wall with my bare hands and hurl it through the window then go outside and jump on it a few times before going to the pub to sit in the warm and sup a nice pint.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it does sometimes not strangely it works more when i use the upstairs taps.Sometimes it comes out but does not seem to have the strength to push the switch and manually pushing the switch lets it come out and will then hold.
As I said I have a service kit for the 3 port valve and a new diaphagm. How difficult is it do and is there any thing i might need to know before I start.
ps. Thanks for the above link have got instuctions now thats shed a little light.

All I can say is good luck to you. Once you dismantle the components that is when the fun starts.

Just put a 10ltr on the return. as for the div valve you can go on the vokera website look in installers part and download the manual and discontinued boilers the 20-80 will be there. im swapping one off these tomorrow. There is also a special tool to take the div valve apart to change the spindle.

Nath

There is also a special tool to take the div valve apart to change the spindle.

What tool might this be? Diverter has two spindles none of which require special tool to remove.

There is also a special tool to take the div valve apart to change the spindle.

What tool might this be? Diverter has two spindles none of which require special tool to remove.

i think he is refering to the tool for the water section on the old EXCEl`s with the old hydrolics

My wife and daughter just shared a nice hot bath am I ever in the good books.No way could I get the div valve to seperate though,stuck fast it was.I changed the diaphragm in the dhw manifold and gave the valve a good rinse and clean put it all back together and bingo.My plumber told me it would be almost impossible to get everything to seal up again Horseshit!! put in the new fibre washers and did not get a single drip.
How happy was I to see that needle come out and push the switch,it really is the simple things in life that make you happy,like not getting nagged at!!
THANKS to all for your help I'm off to the offie for some beers :p

I seam to recall a special tool they gave us at a Vokera training day in Maryhill Danny, mind you that must be more than 20 years ago!! It was a flat metal plate with two spikes on the outer edge & i think(?) it was for divertor valves. Certainly it was for the older range of appliances.

DeltaT, the item you refer to is for removal of retaining ring from the diverter body. I still have it many years later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back