Vokera 20 80 RS Turbo - safe to run w/closed heating valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again!
I'm slowly losing pressure on my 20/80. It drops to about .5 bar over the course of a couple of weeks. I would like to eliminate the radiator circuit by isolating it from the boiler. I have no wet pipes anywhere (visible), so I think the leak could stem from the actual boiler. Can I safely run the unit in DHW-only mode (summer/winter switch switched to summer) and close the flow and return CH valves? I'd like to do this before the autumn sets in (oh, wait, we were there about 2 months ago...)

Many thanks

Stu

Sponsored Links
In theory yes, but I would check with Vokera first. Have you checked the auto air vent and prv for leaks/drips?

I would not do that as pump may want to over run at the end of a demand. With isolating valves closed (while there is an internal bypass), you will stress out the pump.

When boiler is not in use, does the case (above the pilot window aperature) get hot?

Bet the boiler has not seen a service for many a moon.

Was in Edinburgh couple of days ago looking at this model. Several people had had a go at fixing the boiler. They were throwing parts at it without good cause. Futile if you do not understand how a boiler operates.

a bit late, but just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. Will check the above mentioned items and report back if I find anything of interest.

Stu

Sponsored Links
After checking and double checking all of the visible pipes, I forgot to check one obvious one - the drain / pressure relief pipe, which drains to the outside of the building. I could see a couple of water drops on the underneath of this pipe, so I topped up the pressure on the system and watched the pipe carefully. Sure enough, the dripping slowly increased. I whipped out the pressure valve and saw what used to be a rubber washer in a million pieces. Quick visit down to partscentre (made it within 5 minutes of their closing time) and £40 later and I have a non-dripping pipe.

£40 was 4 times the price for which I could find it online, but the convenience of being able to have hot water over the weekend and have a shower on Monday morning before work meant I was willing to pay the extra £30. Still, it does hurt a bit!

Fingers crossed that's the last of my pressure loss.

Thanks guys,

Stu

bloody hell £40 for a prv? go back with your invoice and ask to see the manager. full retail isnt that high.

don't turn up at closing time ;)

Just checked parts centre site and the prv (vokera 4250) is £11.40 + VAT retail :eek: :eek:

hah hah, thanks guys, I thought it was a bit steep. I also remember the bloke saying £11 when I phoned up to check stock. I was just in such a rush that I just handed over my card as the thought of cold showers was too much to handle! Will give them a bell on Monday and see what's happening.

Have a good w/end

Stu
(with hot water and pressure!)

they do these things knowing people don't have the time to go back chasing little money. i'm no sinflint(i use the very best materials) but i wont waste money if i can help it. OP if you have the time go back and complain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back