Vokera boiler heating rads with room stat set low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents had a new Vokera combi boiler a few months ago (which is in the garage), with a remote controlled Honeywell room thermostat. Last night (which was exceptionally cold) the radiators came on all night with the room stat being off. What is the problem and how can I fix this?

Sponsored Links
Could be frost protection activating. Did it actually stay on continuously all night, or now and then during the night?

Sponsored Links
The Vokera service technician came out today. I couldn't be there but apparently there is nothing wrong with the boiler and he suspected a faulty room stat which is a new Honeywell unit. I am slightly suspicious as my Worcester Bosch boiler did the same thing on a couple of occasions, also with a new Honeywell unit, and again the technician thought it was the room stat.

Has anyone else come across this diagnosis, and would you give it any credence?

Surely the boiler has an inbuilt timer. This should have been off during the night. If this was off then the only way the boiler would come on would be the frost thermostat. The wall thermostat would have nothing to do with it.
Unless it is a programmable one.

If the temperature drops below 5c (I think) in your garage the boiler will run to stop the water freezing, as you have no heating in your garage it wont get any warmer and the boiler will keep running, this is not a fault its designed to do this.

Thanks for your replies. It's a shame that the Vokera technician is quick to blame someone else's equipment rather than explaining the issue as you have done. I did suspect the frost stat, but thought it would cut in and out rather than stay on all night.

It seems then that the only solution is extra insulation, or some form of low level heating in the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back