Vokera Boiler pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pressure on my Vokera 20-80 R.S. Flowmatic is set at around 1.5 and has been fine since we moved in a few weeks ago.

We had a power cut a few days ago and I have now noticed that the pressure drops to zero when the heating is switched off then comes back up again when the heating is on. Is this normal or is there something wrong?. Radiators all checked and hot to the top.

Also can someone tell me where I can get hold of a handbook which will give me the basics of setting timer etc.

Thanks
Joe54

Sponsored Links
The expansion vessel is empty or faulty.

There are instructions on the FAQ but they have to be followed exactly. Some people seem unable to do that, including some CORGIs.

Tony

Pressure should be set to around 1 bar when system is cold. Will then rise to about 2 bar when hot then drop back to 1 when cold again. Does this use the standard Vokera 3 way tap for filling system etc under right hand side?

If this doesn't work refer back to Agile post.

I would have to say--get the boiler serviced. Anyone who can service this boiler in 15 minutes is pulling your chain.

Often loss of water is due to lack of service. Power outage (if long) can lead to weeps occuring.

Sponsored Links
DP have I missed something? where does the 15min service come in???

This type of service is dead common. Usually operational check is carried out in 15 minutes or thereabouts and then paperwork remaining time over a cuppa.

When such a boiler is serviced as per the maker's instructions, hardly any serviceable component has seen any TLC.

Common utterance from the customer is "last person never even took the cover off"

My 2 comments from customers

Oh you've turned up then!

never seen it taken to bits like that before!

gas4you said:
Oh you've turned up then!

ive turned and walked down the drive to that one before.

another guy said that and i said "yeh i see you managed to get out of bed this time"

Thanks Folks for taking the time to respond. Really helpful info. British Gas are to service it on the 6th March so will see how it works after that.

Make sure they take the cover off and spend more than 15 minutes then!

Otherwise DP will be after them!

In view of the suspected problem with the expansion vessel they should properly check it which I could only do by repressurising it correctly. Merely measuring the air pressure is not enough because you dont know the volume of air is in the vessel.

We would always recommend a system pressure of 1.5 Bar.

Tony

Thanks Tony - Although it is British Gas who are servicing the boiler my son has just told me that we know the engineer and he will ensure he does a proper job. We will also show him your comments. TKU
Joe54

gas4you said:
Pressure should be set to around 1 bar when system is cold. Will then rise to about 2 bar when hot then drop back to 1 when cold again. Does this use the standard Vokera 3 way tap for filling system etc under right hand side?

If this doesn't work refer back to Agile post.

gas4you,

I apologise for my lack of knowledge here but i thought i had a problem with my boiler, but seeing your post, I'm not so sure now.

Next to the water pressure gauge on the front of the boiler it says set water pressure to 1-1.5bar. Currently set at 1.5bar and when i put the heating on, the pressure climbs to 2 bar after about 20mins. Is this safe and normal? How high can/should the pressure go? when turned off, the water pressure returns to 1.5bar.

I switch it off because i'm concerned i will do damage if the pressure is high. The last time it was serviced (just over a year ago) was after i took all the radiators off and had to drain the system. When connected the radiators back up i could only get warm central heating but no warm water. The guy who serviced it said the system wasn't venting properly and sorted the problem (i will check his invoice as he mentioned on there what he did).

Is the above at all linked to rising pressure of my system when the heating is on? I'm guessing the 1.5bar max is the cold water pressure.

Just by clicking the switch to constant increases the needle on the water pressure gauge to 1.65/1.7bar. Likewise, turning it off returns it to 1.5bar almost instantly.

Normal?

Hoping you can help
Rob

Rob - Firstly my boiler was serviced some months ago but despite knowing the engineer (British Gas) it was not a good job and the pressure gauge just kept dropping to zero after a couple of days.

I had opened the valve under the boiler slightly to build up the pressure ensuring each time that it did not go beyond the red waring line on the gauge. However after a period of about a week it was back to zero.

Then I found the cure !!. A very small leak in the drain pipe in the garage. The leak was so small that it was around an egg cup full of water each week. I bought a valve spanner from Tesco for around £2.00 tightened the tap and it was fine.

The pressure still drops now and again but now stays ok for at least six to seven weeks. The heating system seems fine and we have no problems with the boiler.

I also spoke to another Gas engineer!!! who said that these boilers service themselves and that unless they pack up altogether to keep your money in your pocket and do not replace until you really need to.

Hope this helps
Joe 54

Robbie, what you describe is normal operating parameters for your boiler, in terms of pressures.

Joe54, you have been fed a load of twaddle, these boilers do not service themselves, in fact no boiler does and any registered corgi should always tell customers that any gas appliance shound be inspected/serviced every 12 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back