Vokera Compact 24 & removing HW ristricter washer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any benefit in removing the HW restricter washer that has been mentioned on here before, does it just do the same job as adjusting the tap on the cold water feed?

Thanks,
Andy.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much!

Its rare to find removing it will give a much better flow.

As the boiler can only heat about 8 litres per minute its rare not to get that flow rate.

Tony

Thanks for your reply.
When I turn the inlet tap on full there is more water coming out but its not hot enough, removing the washer would make no difference?
Why do people do it?
Andy.

Restrictor is there to give metered flow rate of 9.5l on a 24Kw Linea. Restrictor does its job when you run the tap. You remove the restrictor- all you will get is a deluge that you then have to 'control' at the tap. No easy task. Leave it well alone.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
When I turn the inlet tap on full there is more water coming out but its not hot enough, removing the washer would make no difference?
Why do people do it?
Andy.

people remove it cos the o-ring swells up ot it blocks causing poor flow rate. you can quite safely remove them and then set your flow rate at the inlet tap.

in your case however removing the restrictor to get more heat will not work.

Nicso, I regularly replace the O ring in these restrictors. One I went to yesterday was passing too much water. New O ring fixed it.

I would not recommend removing this item- replace it but do not remove it.

fair enough, if i had one handy i would probably replace it too. ive removed maybe 20 or so and to my knowledge the only problem i had once was the failure of the washer to seal against the now thinner mating surface.

ooi, why would you not remove them? they seem to cause far more issues than the relevant restrictors in other vokeras.

fair enough, if i had one handy i would probably replace it too. ive removed maybe 20 or so and to my knowledge the only problem i had once was the failure of the washer to seal against the now thinner mating surface.

ooi, why would you not remove them? they seem to cause far more issues than the relevant restrictors in other vokeras.

Sorry Nickso if I have said the wrong thing. My comments were aimed at the OP.
I am of the opinion that if a component is in place, I like to ensure it is replaced (if it is defective). Have been to Vokera with no fan gaskets, bypassed o/h stats etc.

If I find an O ring swollen the I only remove the O ring but lkeave the holder in place.

Some of the older boilers use the pressure across that item to sense the DHW flow and removing it completely requires a higher minimum flow rate to start the boiler.

Tony

Sorry Nickso if I have said the wrong thing. My comments were aimed at the OP.
I am of the opinion that if a component is in place, I like to ensure it is replaced (if it is defective). Have been to Vokera with no fan gaskets, bypassed o/h stats etc.

nothing wrong with that and in general i agree with you. bypassing a safety device is of course unforgivable. i just dont see what difference removing the restrictor will make if the flow rate can be set elsewhere. if the restrictor was the only method of setting the flow rate, then yes leave it in.

Some of the older boilers use the pressure across that item to sense the DHW flow and removing it completely requires a higher minimum flow rate to start the boiler.

Tony

A restrictor with no O ring is not a restrictor anymore.

Tony which boiler uses the restrictor to aid flow sense?

24S Prisma etc.

The plastic assembly still gives plenty of restriction for that purpose if the rubber has been removed.

Its odd that most boilers have a restrictor but I see them swollen on only a very few models. Never on a Vaillant for example.

Tony

24S Prisma etc.

The plastic assembly still gives plenty of restriction for that purpose if the rubber has been removed.

Its odd that most boilers have a restrictor but I see them swollen on only a very few models. Never on a Vaillant for example.

Tony

so your utterly useless contribution to this thread so far consists of stating that a completely different boiler may not work well with its restrictor removed.

thats cleared that up then :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back