Vokera Compact 25 - Standby Problem? I've a £300 bill now.

My house is 4 bed, 5 of us in it.
Combi, range cooker and gas fire.
We're sucking GAS like a wino sucks Special Brew... average bill is £60 a month!

Sponsored Links
Surely you'd have a flat as hot as an oven if you'd used that much gas? Have you been sweating indoors?
Exactly! There might be faults with the boiler, but that bill isn't caused by it simply turning on when it isn't supposed to. Look elsewhere. Stop flailing and find out where the problem really is instead of guessing random problems and hoping that is what is going on.

With a thermostat and TRVs it really doesn't matter if the boiler is "on" all day and every day (in fact most digital controls operate this way, just with different temperature settings at different times of the day). When the flat gets warm then the thermostat will send the boiler back to sleep. When each individual room gets warm that rad will turn off and the boiler will power down. The boiler would have to be firing flat out for over 12 hours a day, or at a lower power just about continuously to use that gas. There is always hot water, but it is hard to imagine where that much hot water might be going without someone noticing - the only place I can think of is out the pressure release valve.

Have you checked yet to see if you're actually using 30 units of gas every day? Which is about three times what I use to heat a 4-bed house in the middle of winter. Is the boiler actually chewing through more than a unit every hour 24 hours a day? Or a much higher rate for part of the day? Then go from there.

i sense someone is full of shyte , £300/month in a studio flat , come on FFS......

i sense someone is full of shyte , £300/month in a studio flat , come on FFS......
Come on now. There are all sorts of reasons for someone to have a £300 bill in a new flat, some of them even due to a boiler. The OP doesn't appear to be trolling, although probably has been scared away. Or maybe resolved the issue :)

Sponsored Links
There is no way a system would use so much gas.

But many reasons why the billing could be seriously in error!

Those need to be investigated.

But a start is the meter readings!

Has he even turned off the gas at the meter to see if it is also feeding another flat? I come across one or two of those every year!

Tony

Previous owners done a runner?, leaving a large amount to be clawed back?,

May I ask if it is a credit meter or Card (prepayment type)?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input. Sorry I couldn't reply over the weekend.

I've made a call to my energy company and finally got a person on the phone who was kind enough to verify the questions I had.
  1. The £300 was caused by a proper adjustment of gas readings. Prior to this year, I wasn't aware I had to send in readings - and when I did, the new reading reflected on my proper usage for the past four months since I've moved in. Prior to the accurate reading, I was apparently using around £130/month on average. The energy company was charging me based on their estimated use, which was £50/month. £130 a month is still high usage for a studio flat though.
  2. I had inherited the landlord's energy quote which was a business account, not a residential account. The rates are much more expensive, as well as the standing charge - which accounted for the high bills. I've immediately made a change to a residential account. For context, my flat was previously a business lot that's been refurbished into a residential property.
The £300 gas bill at least makes sense to me now. It was my fault for not sending them consistent readings - something I will do on a monthly basis from now on. As well as to have not clarified the gas account when I first moved in. This is my first time moving out on my own, and I learned the lesson the hard way. Still, I'd like to find a way to reduce the gas usage down.

I apologise for the ignorance - I'm still very new at this, and facing a deep learning curve here.

Have you noticed the boiler firing when the CH and HW is off?
Change the times on your programmer so that they are OFF, whilst you are at home and monitor the boiler for firing and heating the rads. If this happens then you have a faulty timer/programmer and/or frost stat, in the boiler and maybe even faulty roomstat. Get you landlord to have it looked at!
As for nuiscance firing, during a heating period (I.e when the programmer/timer is in an 'on' period) the radiator in the room in which the roomstat is located, should have manual and not TRV valves fitted! This is simply because the TRV is likely to shut the rad off, allowing the room to cool, which makes the roomstat call for heat, whilst all the other rooms are up to temp!

I've already informed my landlord - he should be sending a technician soon to get it checked. The radiators still heat up when the boiler is supposed to be off, though not as often, after I've followed the advice of some commenters in this thread in adjusting the TVR and thermostat settings.

Turn the hall radiator thermostat to full power and wall thermostat to 18 degrees.
This will reduce boiler on time as the hall temperature (design temperature is 18 degree C) is achieved, even though the programmer is calling

As a work around where your wall stat is you really want to turn the trvs to max so that room reaches temp quickly and turns the boiler off. Also trvs do not talk to the boiler they are very simple things. A trv will not turn the boiler on and off only the room stat will call for heat when the room temp drops.

Tried this - it seems to work. I've since made adjustments to the wall thermostat and TVR settings, and I don't hear my radiators heating up as often anymore. Still, my gas counter climbed up by 10 since I've first posted. Is that supposed to be normal?

You seem very reluctant to do the obvious and see about the billing aspect.

Is the supply in your name?

Did YOU supply the start reading?

Did you even know what it was?

Even with the boiler on 24/7 it would be unlikely to use £300 of gas!

Is the £300 based on ACTUAL meter readings? Have you even checked the actual meter reading against the billing?

What was the start and present meter readings?

Tony

The supply is in both my name and the landlord's (changed that in the recent phone call to the gas company). I took a record of the start reading but didn't supply it to the gas company - they used the final detected reading. The £300 was an accumulation of the accurate cost, once I had submitted the accurate readings at the beginning of this year.

There is no way a system would use so much gas.

But many reasons why the billing could be seriously in error!

Those need to be investigated.

But a start is the meter readings!

Has he even turned off the gas at the meter to see if it is also feeding another flat? I come across one or two of those every year!

Tony

Meter readings was at 530 at the start of my tenancy and around 890 by the beginning of this year - over the course of four months. And yes, I've tried turning off the gas for a full day and the counter didn't move, so I don't think it's feeding another flat. But the boiler does turn on randomly at times when it's supposed to be off according to the timer (though the manufacturer says it's on standby mode).

Last edited:
Previous owners done a runner?, leaving a large amount to be clawed back?,

May I ask if it is a credit meter or Card (prepayment type)?

Nope, after speaking to the gas company. It's apparently the accurate reading catching up after four months, alongside being on the wrong tariff system (the landlord's set it to a business tariff as opposed to residential, and I didn't realise it until recently). This is my own doing - so now the issue I'm trying to resolve is the radiators that keep on firing despite it supposed to be off at the hours I've set the timer to.

I'm currently on credit meter.

Would the supplier adjust the account to be a residential to the start of your occupation?

Tony

OP, thank you for taking the time to get back to us and explain the issues.

Too many people post on here desperate for (free) advice and then disappear without as much as a thank you.

Glad you seem to have got sorted!

Looks like your usage over the four months was about three units (cubic meters) a day. That is probably about right for a flat in winter. That should come in under forty pounds a month on a good tariff, but maybe higher on a credit meter. Sounds like your previous tariff was a lot more expensive!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back