Vokera Compact 28 losing pressure daily!

The idea is to depressurise, not drain. The drain cock will depressurise but if there is an auto air vent somewhere then it will keep draining.

I usually just open a radiator bleed screw and stand there with a bowl while the water pi$$es out until the pressure is 0 on the gauge. Make sure the filling loop / valve is properly closed.

Had one last week that had a PRV that had been letting by for months. Kept going 'cos the filling loop valve was also letting by!

Sponsored Links
roger that!

open the radiator bleed valve. - let water **** out. - keep it open. - pump it up.

simples!! ???

I'll be well chuffed if i fix this :):):)

Woo Hoo! don't want to talk too soon, but that may just have done the trick!!

Not had to top it up in over 24 hours!!! - RESULT!!

Thankyou for all your help!

However..... one thing did puzzle me a bit though.....

When i was bleeding the radiator to "depressurize" the system, and keeping the valve open while i put air into the expansion vessel, obviously a fair bit of water came out. so when i came to refill and bleed the air out etc, i hardly needed to add any water?? there was hardly any air in the top towel radiator. water came out of bleed valve straight away.

Is this because i refilled the air bit of the pressure vessel or something else??

Basically your expansion vessel contained water and little air.
You increased the volume of air by pumped more in, this air pushes on the diaphragm which pushes the excess water out through the bleed or drain off.
You did not lose much water so very little required to fill.
There would also be a AAV (automatic air valve) which allows air to escape while filling, but will not allow water to escape.
If the pressure now rises about 1bar when heating is put on, it would suggest the expansion vessel is operating as it should.
However if your PRV has been opened, which it has, then it may not have sealed properly so you may still have a small leak and a replacement is usually the only solution.

Sponsored Links
many thanks for that.

Really chuffed that its solved it :)

now..........

because its been losing a lot of water and been getting topped up a lot etc will i have lost all the cleaning fluid and anticorrosion stuff that was in??

Whoops!

does that mean my boiler and radiators will start to rust, limescale and corrode n stuff?

Has the damage been done or am i able to clean n protect it again??

Well they will rust eventually, suppose it depends on the quality of materials used. So it would be wise to clean and add inhibitor.
Having said that I know of radiators and pipe work still operating today after 37 years without any cleaner or inhibitor, so I don't think yours is a panic situation

House was built in 1930's

not really been touched for years till i moved in 8 yrs ago. in the process of modernising n decorating etc, i've had every radiator off to paint decorate etc.

will it just affect radiators n pipes or boiler as well.

is it easy / cheap to do?

In your opinion should i leave it or not?

£15 quid for a bottle of inhibitor. Drain a towel rail / rad and fill with 1 L of inhibitor then open valves and bleed . Simples..

Basically your expansion vessel contained water and little air.
You increased the volume of air by pumped more in, this air pushes on the diaphragm which pushes the excess water out through the bleed or drain off.
You did not lose much water so very little required to fill.
There would also be a AAV (automatic air valve) which allows air to escape while filling, but will not allow water to escape.
If the pressure now rises about 1bar when heating is put on, it would suggest the expansion vessel is operating as it should.
However if your PRV has been opened, which it has, then it may not have sealed properly so you may still have a small leak and a replacement is usually the only solution.

hello ...help....i had the same problem water dripping from a outside overflow....ive drained the rad.. pumped the tank back up to 14 psi and toped up system to 1.5 bar with little water....all good....however hwen i try and use ch or domestic the boiler starts to ignite then stops ..and red light comes on..it never did this before i did the above any help please...???????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back