Vokera Excel 80E intermittant problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love the little challenges my Vokera Excel 80E boiler throws up!

The current problem is that the boiler only lights intermittantly (both DHW and CH). As far as I can work out, the fan is working properly (it is sucking hard enough to make the air differential switch click anyway). The flue blocked LED comes on and...nothing. Sometimes the same LED comes on and the ignition sparks and lights.

Two observations, the temperature guage has stopped working and there is a small leak on the DHW heat exchanger (courtesy of a British Gas engineer's cack-handed attempts at repairing the boiler (which mainly involved tutting and changing random parts)).

The problem with the CH isn't too bad as the boiler works often enough to keep the temperature OK, but it's no good for DHW when I need to do the washing up.

Any suggestions (apart from buying paper plates!)?

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
I can only suggest the boiler is in need of service. A fair number of defects are a result of lack of service as detailed in the installation manual. A good boiler (with perhaps only one bad habit- boils diaphragms) that should give you years of faithful service (if maintained as mentioned before)

What is your location?

Thanks for the reply DP.

I live in the Leighton Buzzard/Milton Keynes/Aylesbury area...that's the problem! I'm originally from Birmingham, so all the reliable tradesmen I know are there.

I got British Gas in because I was worried about getting ripped off by a cowboy, but the bloke they sent was useless. He just didn't have a logical problem solving approach to things (and he cross threaded the DHW heat exchanger).

I'd love to find someone locally (that's reliable), but it's hard to trust people when you've been ripped off in the past. That's why I like to try to figure it out myself, so that when someone comes to fix it, I know what's what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back