Vokera excell 80 sp fuse blows and pressure keeps falling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had Corgi Eng in re a leak about month ago. Found leak but then another one appeared. Eng said that old boiler and thus leaks can continue to appear after fixing one (stated they can travel to next weak point). He suggested new boiler as parts and repair costs can mount up. Fixed second leak but after a week pressure started falling again... said could be exchange valve and 2 check overflow. Got him back couple weeks later...a few hours before arriving heating or hot water also failed but pilot on! Found leak at the heat exchanger seal. He found the fuse blown in the PCP. suggested water damage or stiff pump or fan - although running ok. He left with no other leak evident and added leak sealer. Again suggested new boiler as concerned that faults may continue and add up. Could not see water dripping from overflow (pipe camouflaged by brick wall). Heating and hot water worked for 24 hours but then failed. For a while pilot light on but no heat/hot water - possibly another fuse -but now no pilot light. Cant really afford new boiler at this time but obviously false economy to keep on getting repairs only for further faults to develop. Is it worth continuing with fault finding/repairs or in consideration of the boilers age is my engineer right to suggest new boiler? any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
DP on here is best to advise on this issue, he is a Vokera expert. He also resides in either Glasgow or Edinburgh, can't remember which. It's all just Scotland to me :oops:

Hear this type of story very often. Guess the guy was a fitter not a heating engineer with knowledge of Vokera Excel operation. Leak does not move to the next point. Seals at the heat exchanger weep if boiler has been switched off at the first control knob or spur. Pilot will not light until fan has scrubbed the chamber of CO2 buildup (result of power being off and pilot using up oxygen within chamber then 'suffocating'- seals fail as pilot builds up pressure and heat in the heat exchanger when fan not slow running)

Have yet to have any issues with Excel boiler. Charm to work on. Leaks are not an issue on the boiler.

Often problems arise when boiler has not been serviced for a while.

Boiler not known to blow fuses.

Am in Glasgow (Bearsden). Edinburgh is a cold place.

Thanks for response DP. The engineer is a part of a'heating solutions' company -therefore may very well be the 'fitter' you describe.
My father was a heating engineer with Br Gas - now passed - and was a vokera devotee hence my issue with this engineer's far too quick replacement suggestions. The question is do you know a reliable engineer who can properly diagnose and fix to keep boiler going for another good year or so. We are in M.Florida in Southside.
n.b. the engineer serviced the boiler at same time as fixing the previous leek but difficult to acertain whether he gave it the quick hoover/tickle that many engineers seem to conduct!

Sponsored Links
I have been known to cross the river. Only today I was in Kings Park fixing a boiler there.

My email should be in my profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back