Vokera Excell firing problem help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my vokera excell boiler and have been reading various posts which I think relate to my problem but I'd just like some confirmation from an expert.

The problem started with my hot water not working unless the heating was on. I got someone in who "fixed" the problem by replacing the diaphragm, everything was fine for 2 days.

Suddenly all heating and hot water stopped, the pump is working but the boiler will not fire up. On occasion if I leave it off for a while then try, it will fire up for a bit (varies from a few minutes to a few seconds) and the system will work OK, then something seems to trip it out, it switches off and there is no restarting it. (pilot light is fine)

I have also noticed a new noise coming from the flue when the system finally does fire up. It sounds like a fan struggling to spin (quite noisy) so am thinking there may be a problem there. Would a sticking fan stop the boiler from firing (from what I've read I think it might) and is there anything I can do (as in cleaning/lubricating) which might help.

Please note that when the boiler refuses to fire up there is no noise whatsoever from the flue, just the usual clicking noises you'd expect before firing up but nothing happens.

My main question is, could the boiler "engineer" have caused this problem or is it coincidental. I've tried to contact the guy in question, but it's been 3 days and he won't return my calls. I've since stopped his check so I'm sure I'll hear from him in a few days, but I'd like to get some info so I can be armed if he tries any bull***t tactics.

thanks in advance for any help, I've tried to be as detailed as I can, if there's any more info you need please let me know.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Stopping the cheque is BAD especially when he (I would anyway) would have worked on secondary water side only. Pump is on the primary, therefore is not effected when a dipahragm is replaced.

If the pump has failed, no fan.

If the fan has failed no burner.

If there is air in the system, boiler will not work.

Good boiler, sad things are going belly up. Better way forward would have been to be a spectator. That way you would have known what area the man was working on.

When was the boiler serviced last? I work on these boilers all the time. It takes me around two hours to overhaul the boiler. A lot of 'engineers' service the boiler in 15 minutes.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Believe me stopping the cheque was a last resort, but I've left 9 messages for the guy and had no reply. I'm sitting here freezing in my flat, can't take a shower, out of pocket and I feel ripped off.

I'll be quite happy to reimburse the guy if he acts professionally, but ignoring my calls is not on. This is the first time I've used him, (my regular guy emmigrated to Australia) and with all the cowboys around I'd rather have the money in my bank account till all is working.

The boiler was serviced about a year ago (by my old engineer) and I have never had any problems till now.

Unfortunately I was busy when he was working on the boiler so I didn't see which area he was working on.

The reason for my post is to gather information for when I see him next, I want to make sure the problem is unrelated to previous work and not due to shoddy workmanship.

The pump is working, the fan seems to be struggling and indeed no burner.

So I'm left with my original assumption that it is a fan problem.

Thanks for the info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back