Vokera Linea 24 - ongoing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My parents have had a Vokea Linea 24 for about 5 years now (Serviced every year). When they first had it installed they had several old rads on the system, but had all pipework replaced (don't ask me why they didn't have the rads done as well).

Shortly after installation they had problems with DHW, cycling hot and cold. An engineer replaced the secondary heat exchanger. A few months later another went, and so the radiators were replaced and the system power-flushed.

We thought this would solve things, however about a year later the same happened again and so another HE was fitted (at this point not covered by the guarantee).

Since then a maganaclean has been fitted to try and filter out any remaining debris, but alas today I find that the system is faulty again (cycling the hot water). This time unit doesn't seem to be getting up to temperature at all, no just when requiring DHW.

The unit is making a ticking sound then a couple of clicks, followed by more ticking and clicks.... and so on....

Is it that this unit is especially susceptible to debris? I have a Baxi 105HE fitted 2 years ago and haven't had a single problem. My parents have thrown so much money at trying to fix this... would the best recommendation be to replace the boiler, or will another boiler have the same problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
does it show any fault codes?

ticking noise then clicking sounds like the diverter motor is moving. does it light up? if so for how long?

No fault codes are displayed,

the burner fires up as longs as the DHW is flowing. I've just felt the feed and return pipes for the rads and it seems the feed is getting warmer while the hot tap is on? does this fit in with the diverter valve?

What would be the best advise regarding a fix because (not mentioned in my previous post) this would be the second diverter valve!

No fault codes are displayed,

the burner fires up as longs as the DHW is flowing. I've just felt the feed and return pipes for the rads and it seems the feed is getting warmer while the hot tap is on? does this fit in with the diverter valve?

What would be the best advise regarding a fix because (not mentioned in my previous post) this would be the second diverter valve!

hardly surprising considering the system water sounds like it was very poor. the diverter kit isnt expensive by anyones standards though, only takes 30 mins to fit too.

if i were you i would get someone round who knows what they are doing with a linea. i would also be checking the system water is still clean as no boiler is going to do well with poor water quality. have you cleaned the magnaclean recently?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the system has been drained twice in the last three months beacuse of decorating round a radiator. The water coming out was clear. I also took the opertunity to clean the magnaclean, there wasn't much build up....

Griffta, the faults have nothing to do with boiler make or model. Any boiler with a plate to plate heat exchanger will fail in a similar way.

What is happening is that the system dirt is blocking the HWHE resulting in poor hot water delivery. This will happen to all boilers unless the system is cleaned properly.

Power flush does not remove all the muck. Also depends how the system is flushed.

Advise would be you get someone who knows what the problem is and then act on it, namely removing system muck. It normally takes me at least 2 days to thoroughly clean a system. Even then system water will not have the clarity of tap water.

Thanks, I'll have to get ringing around tomorrow....

This heating system has been nothing but a pain from day one!

Nevermine, any further advise would be great, Thanks.

It sounds as if ALL those problems result from the simple fact that the boiler installer never cleaned ther system.

It needs power flushing with the right chemical and then refilling with inhibitor added.

I always clean a system properly so that I never have any problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back