Vokera vs. Worcester Bosch - Advice Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to have a new central heating system installed (Scotland) - it is for a small falt and only feeding 3 radiators + 1 towel heater.

I have been quoted for either a Vokera compact (non condensing) boiler or a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior condensing boiler. The set-up requires a twin pipe flue system to run approx. 4m to the outside wall. Both come with a 2-year guarantee.

I would appreciate any comments on the advantages or disadvantages of the above models.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi

When I went to the plumbers merchant to enquire, the guy in there said don't by anything unless its atag, keston, buderus, bosch or viessmann.

avoid vokera like the plague is what he also said! So i would go for the bosch. I was under the impression that all new boilers had to be condensing anyway?!?

Lorraine

They both use a dual flow heat exchanger. I've known of three compactsw which were considered so bad that the owners had them removed after a few years and a new boiler fitted. One of them I kept for spares that guy had a solid fuel stove fitted. The other two I wasn't called to someoine else got there first and did them a combi swap.

A local corgi plumber fitted a compact for his mum and quote "what a piece of crap that is".

I was tallking today to a mate who is sold on Worcester who said the Junior is now a good little boiler.

Another mate went right off worcester when the junior first appeared and has been happy with Potterton ever since.

I was called to a Junior fitted in July which wasn't staying hot for a thermostatic shower (new). Non corgi plumber had tried new shower same problem. On examination it was eratic at low flow hot water demand, I called worcester to it and I haven't heard back so they must have fixed it. It uses a turbine to flow sense so should have been reliable.

However I have heard of one case where a faluty connexion between this flow sensor and the pcb was giving intermitent performance. Quite difficult to find that sort of fault.

If you go into a different merchants Lorraine they will say all those boilers are crap and that xyz is what you want.

I would pick the worcester of those two choices.

If money is tight and space allows I would fit a Potty Performa 30 he, if money no object and space allows Boulter Buderus 600-28c.

If it were my home I would fit a low capacity fast recovery hot water cylinder (even if there was no room anywhere I would put it in the loft and construct a crate around it which I filled with insulation material), use a power shower and gravity hot water, and a Boulter Buderus 19 kw system or regular boiler.

If that is really noit an option I would buy a new Britony II and use that for hot water, store a spare diaphragm and tube of ht silicone grease on top of it and put a prv to outside on a t as the first fitting after the boiler just in case it did throw the wobbly that that generation of water heaters does ever so seldome of gas sticking on and blowing first fitting after boiler. Whatever problems it would give me would be miniscule compared to the problems in store from most combis, and I would still have central heating while I fix it.

Of the two I would opt for the Vokera.

I do a lot of repair work. In my area just about every second boiler is a Vokera. No matter what boiler you fit, it will require regular service (which is often ignored). I have found Vokeras much easier to service as components are laid out sensibly. Furthermore, Vokera parts are a lot cheaper.

On the other hand I only touch a Worcester with a bargepole. Parts are expensive, so is access to these to carry out repairs.

WRT to Option. This boiler is very cheap (like Ferroli, Biasi etc). If you are not a builder, why consider this model?

Sponsored Links
Forget vokera they are pants as previously stated someone mends them every other boiler (that says it all) go for a worcester every time or consider a vaillant ecomax (i've had one for 3 years & ain't touched it yet apart from p.t.test)

I have to agree that Vokera is a great make but what little experience and reputaion I have first hand talk about in the merchants with respected guys that model is their mistake. We all make mistakes.

OTOH whereas I don't vote worcester either these day I am told by those who do that model of Worcester is OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back