Volex VCU6(?) circuit Protector - fuse change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had to replace my electric oven a few weeks ago and without realising it went from a hard-wired to a plug oven, initially I simply removed the plug and hard-wired it in. Looking at the circuit box in the hallway the fuse that feeds the oven is a 32a which is obviously way too big for the 13a oven and cooker hood. The question I have is this...is it a simple peice of work for me to buy a 16a/13a replacement mcb(?) to replace this 32a one so that the oven is correctly fused or is it something that's notifiable and/or requires a qualified electrician to do?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
If your oven is hard-wired into a cooker outlet plate, supplied upstream by a switch, then you could replace the outlet plate with an unswitched FCU with a 13A fuse, or by a single unswitched socket...

...you might have room in the terminals for the existing cable :confused: which I'm guessing is 6mm2 since it's on a 32A MCB, but you will have to check.

I didn't see enough room behind to fit a socket (I'd need to cut into the wall too so that is sits in the wall nicely which I didn't fancy doing).

Correction, the 'big red switch' (which is connected to this 32A fuse) on the wall powers the oven but not the hood, I've just had a better look and the hood is connected to another socket so that's all covered off. So I have the Oven hard-wired into the wall which is in turn connected to the red isolator(?) switch. Since this is the only thing being powered by this 32A fuse I figured it would be easier to just replace this. I'm happy to get an electrician in to do this, but if the fuses are 'plug-and-play' as it were and it's simply a case of switching off the main power to swap them over then I could save a huge amount of money for such a simple peice of work.

Thanks again for the quick answer.

Sponsored Links
If your oven is hard-wired into a cooker outlet plate, supplied upstream by a switch, then you could replace the outlet plate with an unswitched FCU with a 13A fuse

Just re-read this bit. that kind of makes sense, easier to isolate just need to check there's room in the wall...good idea I'll have another look and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

You'll probably find that sticks out less than a cooker outlet plate. Make sure it's got a flex outlet for your oven (most do).
If you do choose this, then do get a decent brand FCU which can accommodate your cooker cable.
Terminating the cooker cable is made no easier with much swearing and blasphemy, but I find it helps anyway.

:LOL: fair point, I've had a look at the RS catalogue and found the one I want, it's got the outlet for the cable at the front which should make it easier.

Thanks for all your advice, really appreciate it...a sockets well within my skillset and at least I'm not playing about with MCB's and stuff!

Right - courtesy of Amazon and a nonswitched FCU, connected it all up and, suffice to say, I'm still alive and the cooker works...done! Thanks again for your support.

All the best,
Nathan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back