1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

volt reading

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by moglee, 5 May 2012.

1. moglee

moglee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a meter reading of 160 volts? when I put my meter on a phase to earth cabling

does this mean there is No earth present??
    I have a tt system

2. Sponsored Links
  3. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Assuming you have a 220v supply, 160v between phase and earth suggests a very high impedance earth path. Basically the earth is not connected and you are reading leakage.

4. solair

solair

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The majority of French supplies are "TT" i.e. they only have a local earth, but there is a power-company supplied RCD after the meter and 30mA RCD protection on most circuits in modern supplies too.

It's possible that you might have faulty earth electrodes, or they are inadequate.

I'd strongly suggest getting a French electrical contractor to take a look at it. There's really very little a DIYer can do to sort this out and it needs proper testing.

If it's an old installation, anything is possible!

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local