volt stick or similar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

What device can be used to check a wall for live wired or any pipework before you drill?

Sponsored Links
Ok so really there isn't any guarantees but what is the name of them? I'd rather have something than nothing.

As EFLI implies. You can buy things that are supposed to find wires, pipes etc. But they are famously unreliable. Many find things that are not there or do not indicate things that are there.

I don't know of one that I would trust.

Google "pipe finder" and take your pick….

Sponsored Links
Ok. Well as a safe guide. What is the recommended safe distance between say a light switch or plug for drilling? I know not to drill above a light switch or plug but what about sideways?

Ok. Well as a safe guide. What is the recommended safe distance between say a light switch or plug for drilling? I know not to drill above a light switch or plug but what about sideways?

You need to acquaint yourself with the WIKI //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls
It shows where cables SHOULD be placed, but there are no guarantees and the forum is littered with stories of cables run, by others in all sorts of places.

I know not to drill above a light switch or plug but what about sideways?
Not there either, although you should be able to tell which way the cables at least start heading off..

[wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

I've got one. It seems less unreliable than cheaper ones.
I also have a (not cheap) Bosch one which, similar to what you say, doesn't seem too bad - probably more-or-less 'as good as could be expected'.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
I know not to drill above a light switch or plug but what about sideways?
Not there either, although you should be able to tell which way the cables at least start heading off..
I wouldn't personally say that one should never drill into a 'safe zone' - but one certainly should be aware of the greater risk of hitting a cable in a safe zone than elsewhere, and hence do all one can to identify any such hazards. Some rooms (particularly kitchens) can be so littered with 'safe zones' that there are not too many other places to drill!

Kind Regards, John

Ok so assuming you shut the power off and drilled into a wire not knowing and then put the power back on. How would you know if you drilled Into the wiring or not?

Not that this has happened but this is a concern of mine.

Well, it could go bang, it could not work, it could appear to be fine, but break in a year, 5 years etc.

A few months ago, I had a 'while you're here' and they told me that someone had got a shock from a socket, so checked it over and the socket was fine. Had a little chat and turned out the person that got the shock had been hanging a picture. Took it down, tested between the pin in the wall and the socket earth - 230V. So they'd hit the cable and had been using it with a live pin in it for however long.

A few mm to the right and there would have been a big bang. A few more mm to the right and the RCD would trip and never reset

Ok so assuming you shut the power off and drilled into a wire not knowing and then put the power back on. How would you know if you drilled Into the wiring or not? ... Not that this has happened but this is a concern of mine.
That's one of the problems - you would not necessarily know, since it depends upon exactly what the drill had done. It might result in something tripping (or a fuse blowing) when you restored the power and/or something might have stopped working. However, there are also many possibilities of potentially dangerous cable damage that was not immediately or obviously apparent.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back