voltage on water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had some plumbing work done and the plumber warned me that there was some voltage on the water pipes. He tested the circuit and said that there was a high resistance on the earth as well (>200ohms).

presumably this means 2 problems. Anyone got any suggestions how I can locate the problems and fix?

The house is a Victorian terrace with 80s/90s circuit breakers and an earth wire that appears separate from supply.

Sponsored Links
Not sure, how would I tell? Earth wire disappears under boards. It is separate from supplier connection though. If that helps.

Sounds like a TT system as you are not using a suppliers earth terminal, best bet is to get an electrician in to have a look.
(Also the plumber deserves a nice box of chocolate biscuits as he may have saved your life)
There is probably only 1 problem but shows as two, an electrician should have the correct test equipment to tell.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back