vSMART and MiGo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone fitted or used the Vaillant vSMART or Glow-worm MiGo WiFi smart controllers? I understand they are both the same, but one is branded Vaillant and the other Glow-worm.

There's limited info on their websites which mainly covers the installation not how to use it. The app has a (limited) demo mode which has piqued my interest.....

These controllers have the key features:
  1. Remote control heating and DHW anywhere via the App.
  2. Learn heat loss of your house over two weeks.
  3. Internet weather compensation.
  4. Modulate boiler.
  5. Have the house heated to the desired temperature by the requested time.
Point 5 interests me. I like the idea that if I configure it for 20C at 6am, the heating will fire up early enough such that the house is at 20C by 6am. And the time it fires up would be dependent on the outside temperature and the learnt heat loss profile.

I would be very interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The Optimum start and stop in (5) has been available in a multitude of stats for years. We first came across it in a Honeywell CM67 around 13 yrs ago.

Haven't used vSmart, Vaillant are a spent force IMO.

Used optimum start stop and self learning 30 years ago on Honeywell stuff and very good too.

Internet data depends on the location of the nearest weather station aand Vaillant i'm informed use Netamo (I think I've remembered it). Personally don't like the concept as some areas are not covered well and that one is using data from volunteers as well.

I'm assuming you have a Vaillant or glow worm boiler otherwise it is unlikely to be able modulate the burner.

I'm assuming you have a Vaillant or glow worm boiler otherwise it is unlikely to be able modulate the burner.

Correct, I have Vaillant and I see this as a more complete solution than the controls from the likes of Honeywell as it fully integrates with the boiler for modulation, flow temp (I assume this is correct?), etc. I also like that you can connect via the web so you can delay or fire up early if your plans change and so on.

Vaillant are a spent force IMO.

That's worrying. Why do you say that?

Thanks for the comments so far. Please keep them coming.

Sponsored Links
Both Simond, if I may answer for him, and I work in the industry and it would be too involved to go into detail. Personal opinion; it all comes down to management, actually, it always does.

Personal opinion; it all comes down to management, actually, it always does.

So it's not the product, but the company. That's a relief! I must say I've been very happy with my boiler. Quiet, reliable & very efficient with the VRC430 which is why I'm a little bit apprehensive changing the set up & requesting feedback on this forum.

The vSmart gives you no difference in functionality as far as you are concerned over the 430, apart from the app operation and more time slots/temperature changes per day. A 430 can be programmed with pre-heat and post times based on your outside/inside temperature too.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider. As you say your set up is already very efficient, do you imagine that the new smart controls are going to make a significant difference?

Also, the remote control from anywhere via the app maybe a fun thing to play about with for a bit, but a year or two down the line will you just have found the best set and forget settings so that you don't need to do all that irritating faffing about?

I'm not against smart controls which are right for some people but of the ones I've fitted, most are currently doing the same job as the non smart controls they replaced.

As you say your set up is already very efficient, do you imagine that the new smart controls are going to make a significant difference?

Nope, but who doesn’t like a bit of new tech??

Seriously though you make a good point. I never did think it would make a significant difference to my gas usage, but now you pose the question I feel compelled to weigh up the benefit Vs cost …..

I like the optimum start option. My existing VRC430 has a similar preheat mode, but it has no intelligence. It operates over a linear function relative to outside temp and needs some trial and error to configure. However, if I want a warm house at 6am, I could just set the boiler to start at 4:00 and accept the extra gas usage on the warmer mornings. I doubt this would add much expense to justify the cost of a vSMART.

I also like the facility to operate via the web. My job/life regularly goes ‘off schedule’ and I find myself returning home hours/days earlier/later than expected. However, I could mitigate this by leaving the heating running when I expect to be away. The expense here might add up over time.

So is it worth the cost? A tough one. However, it would reduce my gas usage and consequently my CO2 footprint which is priceless!

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Getting back to my original post - I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone who has fitted or used these smart stats.

To start things off....

Questions:
  1. Can you override or manually configure the settings? EG if you’re not happy with how optimum start works, can you switch it off?

2. Is the intelligence in the unit or Vaillants web servers and consequently the intelligence is lost if web/wifi drops.

3. If I have an existing outside temperature sensor, would/could this be used in preference to the web derived temperature?

Possible issues:
  1. Is only good as long as Vaillant supports/maintains web service….

2. Security - as good as home WiFi and that on Vaillants servers.

Can't answer for Vaillant but the Smart stats are only any good if you want to control your boiler if they modulate the flow temperature AND enable two way communication. I.e. the boiler tells you it's condition while you are in Venezuela or wherever otherwise its just a room stat with along invisible wire.

I believe Vaillant have something in the offing though it may be some time. Don't know whether the Clima pro will work or has these features.

I'm no fan of Worcester particularly but their spokesman made a very good point, a little stretched but worth noting. If you are not home and you turn the heating on in preperation for your return you are actually increasing fuel useage. How long does it take to heat a cold house anyway?

Optimum start stop; I've had it for 30 years on our system but in reality it doesn't work for us as we usually operate the heating as we need it and rely on the unit modulating the boiler fow temperature for smoothing comfort swings and maximising boiler efficiency. If your schedule is rigid and you are very particular possibly it'll be a big factor but our cold old house never dropped below the overnight temperature of 12. Getting up and out is no problem as the air takes no time to warm up and out times are not predictable anyway.

At the moment we're renovating an old lodge and chapel and sleeping in a tent in the chapel. Last night I got up to pee and saw on the room stat I'm testing that the tent was 5.2 desgrees. This morning it was 4.6. I was not particularly cold, just got up, got dressed and got moving.

Have to say well covered in bed in a cold cold room I cannot remember sleeping so well apart from last winter which was the same. My wife and I may drop the nighttime temp lower than 12 when the place is finished and heated, windows are always open anyway. I mention this as you may have family members who are less hardy.

Last edited:
The vaillant have there own it's the vsmart, an ur a hardy sole in a tent! As you said there are better units coming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back