VSmart Faulty? No Heating Demand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a ecoTEC plus 418 boiler with VR65 and VSmart controller. I’ve just switched it from summer mode to winter and found the radiators not heating up. A quick bit of diags shows:

- S30 on display
- No radiator symbol displayed
- d.23=1 on boiler (winter mode)
- d.8=0 (no heating demand)
- DHW symbol is displayed and seems to be working correctly
- Dials set to max on boiler
- S Plan system
- Heating schedule set on in app

I’ve switched off boiler and controller / changed batteries, set room temp to full and nothing seems to cause heat demand.

I can still control the vsmart from the App and locally, however assume that the thermostat part has gone faulty!?

Are there any other tests / checks I can carry out to confirm it is the vSmart at fault? (I fitted it and am competent on diags / replacing if necessary just don’t want to spend on another if it turns out to be the boiler or VR65)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You sure it’s s50 on display? Have you got the required temp above current room temp? Check for a stuck zone valve.

Sorry, typo, s.30 on display (no demand), required temp set to 30 and I checked the zone valve moves / clicks okay.. as it doesn’t use the switch assume that’s okay?

As the room stat seems to work (as in it shows the current temp and set temp), I’m thinking it maybe the receiver box at fault!?

I swapped the vSmart for my VRT392 and still got the same result, no demand showing for radiators....

I then tapped the front boiler panel a few times and radiator demand started.... so looks like I have “fixed” it but expect it to fail again.. i assume there is a lose joint, possibly on the jumpers or are dry solder joints an common issue in these boilers?

Sponsored Links
Could be loose wire, I’ve known pcb’s go faulty on a similar range.

Could be loose wire, I’ve known pcb’s go faulty on a similar range.

ISTR there is a jumper wire when eBUS controls are installed which is linked to RT (so corresponds with the fault), that’s my first guess / place to look... is there anywhere else which wouldn’t show rad demand but everything else works on eBUS?

Sorry, gone as far as I can, might be one brighter ones on here.

Found and fixed the fault!

For anyone reading this in the future, check the jumper between 3&4 on the main PCB X16 location is securely fastened!

Found and fixed the fault!

For anyone reading this in the future, check the jumper between 3&4 on the main PCB X16 location is securely fastened!

So, loose wire/connection then :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back