VW 02 polo 1.2 s timing chain?

some of the polo 1.2s are fitted with chains. they do stretch and ocassionaly jump teeth. the stretched chain gives cam position faults.

probably done half a dozen chain kits in the last year. never had to put valves in one tho. had one thats intake cam had jumped by 4 teeth! how nothing contacted is a miracle.

I'm an AA Patrol and am starting to see this fault on the road side. Vehicle will often sound like its flooded and wanting to start. Usualy you can here the chain rattaling a bit on crank. I was informed by a VW tech that there is a guide that breaks up causing the chain to go slack. Is this what you are seeing as well davieboy?

Sponsored Links
yeah, symptoms when trying to start sound right. sounds flooded. when they jump teeth they spit through the intake, quite loudly. not noticed any damage to guides. they look ok but replace anyway.
regards the old chain against the new. (bear with me here its been a long day)
if you hang the new chain and the old chain on a screwdriver so they both hanging free downwards, the old chain appears to be over half a link longer than the old one. same number of links, obviously, so chain stretch obvious.
getting a lot of bother with stretched chains on various engines. oil problems???

I also have a 53 plate 1.2 VW polo, i took it in on Saturday for a service and MOT only to find out today that my chain timing belt has also jumped!! My total cost to date for a new chain timing belt £514, rear brakes sticking £178, 2 x new tyres £144, service £200, MOT £45 and possibly more? If the chain timing belt has caused any further damage i will receive a call in the morning?
This is the second polo i've owned and my old 'R' reg never had any major problems. This car only last year also had a new coil spring, 2 x bearings, 2 x shock absorbers, front brake discs and pads then general servicing and tyres.
I've been told that a normal timing belt should last approx 10 years or 60,000 miles and that a chain timing belt should last longer. I've yet to question why this has happened with the garage in the morning as i've got low mileage (38K), i've also e-mailed VW to find out why this has happened, if its the norm for this model and if it is under any kind of parts manufacturers guarantee?
I can't believe it, i'm sure we've all got a spare £1,000 after xmas prior to being paid...NOT :!:

Hi Folks,

Right, got it from first garage guy on Friday and he didnt charge me anything although he had spent some time on it trying to work out what it was, so i thought that was good of him.

Spoke to the vw guy today and he doesn't think anything is wrong with the valves but that the chain needs to be replaced and he'd get me a price tomorrow. I'll find out more about it tomorrow.

This polo has also cost a bit, first it was the bushes, anti-roll bar (or something like that?), wheel bearing, lamda sensor, brake sensor, brake light, egr valve, and now this. We also owned a R reg polo before and found no problems with it.

Never buy a vw again.

Sponsored Links
Lets see if they can beat my price of £514 fully fitted including VAT?

I'm still waiting for my call this morn reference any futher damage :(

Alright Mate,

Sorry didn't get back earlier. Picked the car up tonight. For timing chain, fit new speed sensor and fit new camshaft sensor (which prev garage broke) and for an MOT it came to £670.

Just glad to have the thing working and have a year mot so i can sell it now.

Just wondering, d'you think it's a good idea to point out to potential buyers that it has a new chain etc. Dont know if it's due course but the parts and labour are guaranteed for 12 months. What d'you think? PLus or minus in the eyes of potential buyer?

Cheers

Back