vw golf 1.8se n reg burst metal pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a burst metal pipe goes from the front of the engine round the right and up to the top. what is this called and how hard is it to replace ?

it carrys the water

cheers people

Sponsored Links
Not sure about this one. If its leaking coolant then its a coolant pipe.

If not then its the exhaust gas recirculation pipe. Not hard to change, but I'd say might be expensive from VW.

its definately carrying the coolant - when i fill the water up it flys out of the pipe in a couple of places - cold weather and no anti freeze is the cause i just need to know what its called so i can get one then fit it.

thanks

A bit of a mystery to me too but I guess its bolted onto the back of the water pump (in older VW style), goes along the front of the block, converts to rubber and then continues to the radiator.....
I wouldn't think this part is available from a motor factors so pop over to VW and they'll bring up a picture of that engine area. Make sure you get new 'o' rings and hose clips as necessary.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The picture below shows a 1995 1.8 golf engine. I am guessing it is item no 8, highlighted?

If so the part has been given the imaginative title of 'water pipe' by VW. The part no is 037 121 065 K, will cost around the 40 quid mark

thats the baby!

40 quid - how hard is it to fit - bearing in mind im a plumber not a mechanic haha - water pipe gives me some confidence though :)

Shouldn't be too hard to replace. Access is normally a pain. You should probably drain the coolant, this can be done by removing the two hoses that are attached to the thermostat housing (this is next to the oil filter). Remove the coolant filling cap too.

The pipe is then secured at each end with spring type clips, they should come apart by compressing them with pliers. The might get bent but you should be able to replace them with ordinary jubilee clips from halfords/b&q etc.

Slowly refill the coolant (whilst pushng the top radiator hose downwards) and run the engine for 2 minutes at 1500 rpm, toping up the coolant to the max mark at the same time.

Note: You must use VAG G12 coolant (the current version is G12++, it is a lilac or purple colour) the blue stuff in halfords will knacker parts of the cooling system. It is more expensive than the halfords gear but cheaper than replacing the rest of the cooling system.

Edit: Euro Car Parts have one for £18. Bargin

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/V...f755189bec505c5071247d90d6cfb052783c435a&RADH

thanks very much pal - ordered that so hopefully have a crack at it weekend!

i'll let you know how i get on haha

Sponsored Links
Back