VW Golf Mk3 3 door seat lever replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mk3, 3 door VW Golf. The cable that runs from the lever on the side of the seat down to the hook on the bottom of the seat which locates onto a peg and allows the front seat to pivot forward broke.

I have got the replacement cable (steel wire with metal hooks at each end) but can't see any obvious way of getting into the internals of the seat. I have looked in the Haynes manual and Google'd for an anwser but haven't found anything. The only thing I can think of is removing two small stitches at the bottom of the seat, which I think will allow me to roll the seat cover up.

Has anyone replaced this seat release cable before or has any idea of how to get into the seat internals?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have not done this on a MK3, but on a MK2 seat you must wind the recline knob to move the seat back towards the front of the car, when it is fully forwards, if you look at the bottom of the back rest, viewed from where the rear passengers feet would be, you should see 5 or 6 metal teeth sticking through the seat material, carefully straighten these out & you should be able to remove the seat material from them & gain access to the seat inners & thread the new cable in, once you have done this just pull the seat material tight & push the teeth back through then bend them back over, hope this helps :!:

monkeybear,

Thanks for the info, I didn't think of winding the seat recliner right forward. I had a look the other day and it seems the seat has three small stitches at the bottom of the back rest of the seat.

Think I'll take seat out at weekend (easier to get to) and try what you suggested.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Back