VW Golf Reverse Lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2001 Mk4 Golf and the reverse lights have stopped working. The bulbs are fine as is the cabling as far as I can see. Its most likely a fuse but there is no indication in the fuse panel or manual as to which number fuse controls this. I have not noticed any other electrical problems. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It's probably the reversing switch on the gearbox.Easiest way is to pull off the connection at the switch,with the ignition on,check for power with a tester.If the power is there....change the switch. :eek: :eek: :eek:

or just connect the two wires together (easier) but a haines manual may be needed to find the switch

Sponsored Links
When the wipers stopped working on my (2001) VW Sharan, it caused me and the RAC man no end of head scratching - no power at the wipers yet the fuse was intact. Recommendation was to take it to a VW agent pronto.

He telephoned a couple of hours later to tell me he had just had another call out to a Ford Galaxy with the very same problem - turns out the fuse marked 'wipers' does no such thing, and the fuse marked 'heater blower' actually protects the wiper circuit. God knows which fuse is linked to the blower. Anyhow, replacement of said heater fuse restored wipers to full wiping activities.

Why am I telling you this? Not sure really - other than you may need to look beyond the fuse allegedly for the reversing lights - may be worth while checking each and every one to establish whether any have blown.

chambsesf said:
When the wipers stopped working on my (2001) VW Sharan, it caused me and the RAC man no end of head scratching - no power at the wipers yet the fuse was intact. Recommendation was to take it to a VW agent pronto.

He telephoned a couple of hours later to tell me he had just had another call out to a Ford Galaxy with the very same problem - turns out the fuse marked 'wipers' does no such thing, and the fuse marked 'heater blower' actually protects the wiper circuit

The rac mans an idiot for not checking all the fuses anyway, if I was you I would ask for a refund, their obviously employing clowns.

knackers said:
chambsesf said:

He telephoned a couple of hours later to tell me he had just had another call out to a Ford Galaxy with the very same problem - turns out the fuse marked 'wipers' does no such thing, and the fuse marked 'heater blower' actually protects the wiper circuit

The rac mans an idiot for not checking all the fuses anyway, if I was you I would ask for a refund, their obviously employing clowns.

Company car, company RAC policy, can't say I care whether they are clowns or not. I only mentioned it as the Golf (being a VW also) reversing lights may have a similar issue i.e. the reversing lights fuse is not necessarily on the reversing lights circuit.

Did the poster ever get them sorted??

Back