VW polo 1996 interferance??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick one, just got down to the MIL, and the BIL has had the cambelt go on his 96 polo, can anyone tell me if the 1.0 petrol is an interferance engne or not, and if it is, is it worth having it repaired??

if its not an interferance, I can time it up and knock him a new belt on, if it is, I wont be able to do it in the could of days I am here, so its a garage job...

Sponsored Links
just a quick thought, if I rotate the crankshaft by hand, surely I would feel any contact between pistons/valves whilst turning it? if it turns fairly freely, it would be ok? or am I hoping too much here??

It is an interference engine Tim - but you may have got away with it. The only thing you can do is to pop a new belt on and then do a compression test really.
You won't always feel the bent valves touching the pistons when you turn the engine by hand.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It is an interference engine Tim - but you may have got away with it. The only thing you can do is to pop a new belt on and then do a compression test really.
You won't always feel the bent valves touching the pistons when you turn the engine by hand.
John :)

You could always try for a start after turning the engine with a spanner and double checking your marks. Turn at least 2 full turns. if it fires up you got away with it if not ............................................

Cheap compression test:
Take plugs out and make paper plugs out of tightly rolled up newspaper. push them into the plug holes and crank the engine over with the starter. If the plugs fly out you have compression if not, bent valves.

Chances are you have bent valves, but please let us know.

Back