Wacky UPVC French door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just moved into a property and am having problems with the French doors. The main door was catching the rollers on the bottom of their slots by a couple of mils and the door wouldn't lock during the hot weather.

As you can see from the photographs somebody has completely mucked the whole thing up with nylon washers. I tried getting an allen key in the bottom of the hinge to adjust it up or down and I couldn't get any size allen key to fit or turn the mechanism. I propped the door up on a brick and tightened the top hinge up as it was a little slack and that seems to have done the trick although maybe it's the weather getting cooler. It isn't catching when closing now and it locks.

The two missing screws in the top hinge were missing when I took the cover off.

I'd like any advice on the best or least worse course of action to permanently fix the door. The landlord (my uncle) is happy for me to get on with it. Many thanks in advance.

Here are the three hinges:

Top hinge:

IMG-20210802-204210856.jpg

Middle hinge:

IMG-20210802-204206522.jpg

Bottom hinge:

IMG-20210803-163120862.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have had a similar issue with my back door. In my case the frame was buckled but a proper adjustment of the hinges made everything line up.
In your case, those look seriously messed up! :)
I bought some new hinges:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014HEAKR2
(Check the sizes, there are bigger ones available)
I am no expert, but I would buy 3 new hinges and start from there, the existing screw holes might be fine, but at least the new hinges will give a full range of adjustment without possible damage to threads.
Good luck!

Jeez, what a mess!
I'd be checking that the glass is ' toe and heeled' correctly ...my suspicion is its not and that will cause all sorts of issues. Also be careful, it may actually be the ' slave ' door that's out of alignment originally and not the main door so all the adjustment will not alter it

Love these type of jobs, love getting stuck in. I'd deglaze the door's, lift the doors off the hinges and remove those washers, inspect the hinges to see why they've twisted so much(I know the higher you lift them up the hinge pin the less support they have and they start to sag), may need new or reuse but possibly move them slightly and use virgin PVC, rehang the doors and then reglaze making sure they are toe and heeled correctly

Sponsored Links
Love these type of jobs, love getting stuck in. I'd deglaze the door's, lift the doors off the hinges and remove those washers, inspect the hinges to see why they've twisted so much(I know the higher you lift them up the hinge pin the less support they have and they start to sag), may need new or reuse but possibly move them slightly and use virgin PVC, rehang the doors and then reglaze making sure they are toe and heeled correctly
Yes, very satisfying! :)
Plenty of videos online showing how to remove the sealed units. Be extra careful if they are laminated glass as can be very heavy!
The doors might need some slight adjustment when the weight of the glass goes back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back