Wago connectors for cable joins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a few over counter fused switches in my kitchen, each of which operate a respective under counter power socket.

I plan to remove the fused switch join the cables and blank off then replace the under counter sockets with switched ones so the area above the work top has less switches/sockets on display

Ive got an assortment of these in my tool box that i want to use for the cable joints.

once ive created the joints, can they be put into the existing back box (metal) and blanked?

Or should i remove the existing metal back boxes that are currently in the wall and replace with a plastic housing like this

Cheers
Rob

Sponsored Links
once ive created the joints, can they be put into the existing back box (metal) and blanked?
Do you mean by putting a (visible) 'blanking plate' in place of the 'fused switch'? If so, then, yes, that is acceptable.

Kind Regards, John

Do you mean by putting a (visible) 'blanking plate' in place of the 'fused switch'? If so, then, yes, that is acceptable.

Kind Regards, John

Yes thats correct. I had originally planned to tile over completely but i think having a visible blank plate will make things a bit more accessible should we decide to change things in future.

Cheers

Yes thats correct. I had originally planned to tile over completely but i think having a visible blank plate will make things a bit more accessible should we decide to change things in future.
That's good. If you were thinking of 'tiling over' you would be faced with a whole pile of issues, some of which could be difficult to address, as regards how the cables were to be routed and joined.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If they switched fused spurs are part of the ring final (or radial final) I wouldn't bother using wagos and blank plates - I'd just make them single sockets. If there needs to be a plate there, it may as well be of some use

If they switched fused spurs are part of the ring final (or radial final) I wouldn't bother using wagos and blank plates - I'd just make them single sockets. If there needs to be a plate there, it may as well be of some use
I thought of suggesting that, but then noticed that the OP's reason for wanting to do it was ...
.... so the area above the work top has less switches/sockets on display

Kind Regards, John

I thought of suggesting that, but then noticed that the OP's reason for wanting to do it was ...
Is a socket much more obtrusive than a blank plate though? Really? An unswitched socket is even less obtrusive than a switched one.

I HATE blank plates, particularly in kitchens. Personal preference of course but that’s just my opinion

Is a socket much more obtrusive than a blank plate though?
I wouldn't personally think so, but nor is a socket much aesthetically different from a SFCU (which the OP wants to get rid of) - so I suspected that he wouldn't want sockets, either (he actually said so).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but he has to have something.
He does (unless he's prepared for an awful lot of hassle).

He's said that he wants to get rid of the SFCUs, that he wants to reduce the number of visible switches/sockets, and has asked if he can just put blank plates in the place of the SFCUs - so one has to assume that the latter is the 'something' that he's happiest with ... so fair enough! It is, after all, his kitchen.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I and we know that.

However, we are allowed to comment - as you should be the first to appreciate.

Yes, I and we know that. However, we are allowed to comment - as you should be the first to appreciate.
Indeed - and Iggifer and I have commented, expressing our personal opinions.

My only point was that, when taken together, the various things the OP has said seem to indicate which of the various options he personally favours.

Kind Regards, John

Now, I know this will start a debate, but in theory, if using Wago push-fit connectors inside a Wagobox he could replace the back-boxes and plaster/tile over (assuming there was enough depth). Provided that the wiring still all resides within the permitted safe-zones, which it would if there are other existing sockets on the horizontal and the outlet sockets are directly below the original FCUs.

Well, yes, obviously any method suitable for buried hidden joints may be used - unless 'safe' zones disappear with the accessory, but suggesting anything other than the OP originally stated seems to be frowned upon.

Now, I know this will start a debate, but in theory, if using Wago push-fit connectors inside a Wagobox he could replace the back-boxes and plaster/tile over (assuming there was enough depth). Provided that the wiring still all resides within the permitted safe-zones, which it would if there are other existing sockets on the horizontal and the outlet sockets are directly below the original FCUs.
That's all true.

I suppose we're down to personal feelings/views/opinions, but I have to say that, even though (as you say) it is theoretically possible (i.e. compliant with regs), I would personally not be totally comfortable with burying any sort of 'MF' junction box in plaster - but maybe that's just me.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back