Wago connectors in junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would this junction box be suitable for these wago connectors. Everything fits in and the lid closes however everything is very tight and it got me thinking of excess heat with all them wires jammed into this like this. 6 x1.5 cables. 5 is 2 core and earth, 1 is 3 core and earth.

IMG-20221216-WA0015.jpg

Sponsored Links
Would this junction box be suitable for these wago connectors. Everything fits in and the lid closes however everything is very tight and it got me thinking of excess heat with all them wires jammed into this like this. 6 x1.5 cables. 5 is 2 core and earth, 1 is 3 core and earth.
Why do you think there would be "excess heat with all them wires jammed into this like this."?

When current flows through any conductor of which the resistance is not zero, some (small amount) of heat will generated.
Conductors of various sizes are "rated" to carry up-to a certain amount of current.
As long as this rating is not exceeded, the small amount of heat produced will not be significant.

At a "connection" additional heat may be produced, if the "connection" is not a good low-resistance connection.
WAGO connectors provide very good connections (without any need for a "torque" screwdriver - or the like - to ensure sufficient force has been placed on the connection !)

WAGO connectors have an inbuilt spring, which constantly presses down on each conductor.
If the molecular interface between spring and conductor were to "soften", due to local high resistance heating, the spring would push down on the connection to remove any local heating.

As Taylortwocities wrote,
The wires bring inside the box will be fine
But
The box needs screwing to something and the wires need to be clipped.
"The box needs screwing to" some part of the building and
"the wires need to be clipped." to the building structure.

I would also put a cable tie round each cable inside the box to stop the cables being pulled out, ok might not happen when cables clipped and box fixed down but "every little helps"

Sponsored Links
Why do you think there would be "excess heat with all them wires jammed into this like this."?

When current flows through any conductor of which the resistance is not zero, some (small amount) of heat will generated.
Conductors of various sizes are "rated" to carry up-to a certain amount of current.
As long as this rating is not exceeded, the small amount of heat produced will not be significant.

At a "connection" additional heat may be produced, if the "connection" is not a good low-resistance connection.
WAGO connectors provide very good connections (without any need for a "torque" screwdriver - or the like - to ensure sufficient force has been placed on the connection !)

WAGO connectors have an inbuilt spring, which constantly presses down on each conductor.
If the molecular interface between spring and conductor were to "soften", due to local high resistance heating, the spring would push down on the connection to remove any local heating.

As Taylortwocities wrote,

"The box needs screwing to" some part of the building and
"the wires need to be clipped." to the building structure.

Yes the box is screwed to the joists and closed in.

As per the cables clipped to the structure, most of the other cables in the house are not clipped to anything. Just lossely hanging throughout the joists void area. What's the reasons for them needing to be clipped.

What's the reasons for them needing to be clipped.
They need to be supported. Copper particularly is a soft metal. It will stretch under its own weight.
In the case of many junction devices (boxes, pendants, etc) it is the cable clips the prevent the cables bring pulled out of the box.
Loose cables are a trip hazard.
And just for plain neatness and pride in your work.

Copper particularly is a soft metal. It will stretch under its own weight.

I find this hard to belive at the kind of lengths found in domestic installations. Apparently the authors of BS7671 think it's ok to hang a 3kg light fitting using 0.75mm² flex (and I suspect they are being relatively conservative in saying that). https://www.anixter.com/content/dam/Anixter/Catalogs/EMEA-Wire-and-Cable-Handbook/EMEA-WC-Sec-2.pdf claims that said flex weighs 63 kg per km. That works out to about 47 meters.

I can see there could be industrial applications where a cable could be physically overloaded by it's own weight, but I think it's vanishingly unlikely in a normal domestic installation.

In the case of many junction devices (boxes, pendants, etc) it is the cable clips the prevent the cables bring pulled out of the box. Loose cables are a trip hazard.
And specifically the combination of the two, a box without cord grips combined with someone tripping over the cable is a pull-out hazard.

They need to be supported. Copper particularly is a soft metal. It will stretch under its own weight.
In the case of many junction devices (boxes, pendants, etc) it is the cable clips the prevent the cables bring pulled out of the box.

I don't think anyone would trip over these cables seeing as they are in the ceiling space between the plasterboard and upstairs floor.

I don't think anyone would trip over these cables seeing as they are in the ceiling space between the plasterboard and upstairs floor.
In that case clip the cables for one (or more) of the other reasons that Taylortwocities gave. ;)

A "Junction Box" (as pictured) is designed to be supported - screwed to a joist, or other "timber" of the building.
Also, where is its cover ?
Apart from anything else, "just for plain neatness and pride in your work."

While you may have no "pride", I would be surprised if there were not some set of "regulations' covering such installations in the UK.

I have no idea of the equivalent regulations in the UK.
However, AS/NZS 3000 (Wiring Rules) contain the following:-

3. Wiring Systems

3.7 Electrical Connections

3.7.2.8 Mechanical Stress.

All cables and conductors shall be installed so that there is no undue mechanical stress on any connection.

3.9.3 Support and fixing

3.9.3.1 General

Wiring systems shall be supported by suitable means ………

Wiring systems shall be fixed in position by suitable clips, saddles or clamps or by means that will not damage the wiring system and that will not be affected by the wiring material or any external influences.

3.9.3.3 Wiring systems likely to be disturbed.

Wiring systems installed in the following locations are deemed likely to be disturbed and shall be supported at suitable intervals to prevent the undue sagging of cables.

(b) In a space between the floor and ground where a person may gain entry.

(c) In a ceiling space having an access space exceeding 0.6 m high.
(That ceiling space in your photo looks to exceed that height and, while you may consider "I don't think anyone would trip over these cables seeing as they are in the ceiling space between the plasterboard and upstairs floor.", it may contravene a regulation - such as that quoted from AS/NZS 3000 !))

(d) Within two metres of any access space where a person may gain entry.
(??)

The above emphasis in bold is mine.

For your enlightenment, here is an illustration of a relatively neat installation of an Australian "Junction Box" and associated wiring, with the wiring supported by clips and saddles.
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Australian_Internal_Surface_Mounted_Junction_Box.jpg )

I, (along with Taylortwocities - I expect) would suggest that you try to emulate that type of "installation" !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back