Wall anchors in hollow brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attaching a 6x2 to my house for a deck using M12 sleeve anchors. Some of them are tight, but it appears some have blown the back out of the bricks and the expansion sleeve isn't catching. I can put more in, but I'm wondering if putting them in the cement between the bricks might be a better option, or filling the bricks with some sort of resin before inserting the bolts? Any idea?

Sponsored Links
The mortar is weak and friable and shouldn't be used for fixing, your fixings should be into the centre of your bricks and probably no more than 80mm into your 100mm wide brick. Threaded bar, into a resin is probably better than expanding anchors.

The mortar is weak and friable and shouldn't be used for fixing, your fixings should be into the centre of your bricks and probably no more than 80mm into your 100mm wide brick. Threaded bar, into a resin is probably better than expanding anchors.

Cheers mate, think I'll take the loose ones out and pump them with resin then

Sponsored Links
No problem. Drill the hole, blow out with a straw (use goggles), so there's no dust left in it, otherwise you'll just fix your anchors to the dust not the brickwork. Put a square flat or round washer on the nut. Threaded bar cut to suit is usually cheapest. If you can stagger your bolts say at 450 centres (2 bricks) with one through the centre of one course of bricks and one through the centre of the other course of bricks, you'll minimise the chance of the plate rotating. The image below is of clockwork not brick but applies and face fixing directly with hangers and with bolts in plastic rawlplugs is an alternative.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 10.34.35.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 10.48.04.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back