1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Wall built over mu grid/drain

Discussion in 'Building' started by sean oc, 14 Feb 2020.

1. sean oc

sean oc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Afternoon all,

Whats my best bet here, surely this is not a legit way to brick over a grid. Its a conservatory hence why its probably been done as no building regs to rules to follow 'as such'

Would i bet best digging down to locate drainage and extend draining pipework and have the grid someone were more suitable than under the wall o_O

Thanks Sean

Attached Files:

2. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I suspect that the pipe is a rainwater downpipe?
    In my area, rainwater pipes like that indicate a soakaway

3. Sponsored Links
  4. sean oc

sean oc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply,

yeah its just rain water from the guttering that runs down into this grid.

I do have other rainwater grids around the house which have the same rainwater guttering into them, along with bathroom sink & bath, and kitchen sink and dishwasher etc and when i did the back patio these linked into some proper draining pipe work so i am not sure if this grid will be the same or be a soakaway?

Not sure on the local rules but if soakaway is a option, i would remove this and get a soakway dug in the garden.

Thanks

5. bobasd

bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OP,
    you dont know which direction the drainage runs from the gulley nor do you seem to know where it discharges to? it might be going under the conservatory?
    you need to find out. There's lots of advice on here for how to do that.
    the gulley must be re-located - perhaps, centrally between the conservatory and the bay(?)
    and it must be sealed with a grilled grid.

fwiw, you should investigate all gullies and manholes on your property - check where they discharge to and if the gullies are debris clear.

6. Sponsored Links