Wall Chase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve cut 2 channels for electrical cable and I’ve applied bonding as a rough coat and im wondering which product is best to finish the wall without showing any joins.

Would multifinish or dot and dab be best to have a smooth joinless finish?

Sponsored Links
Multi is not very good for blending in/sanding.
Easi-fill is.
Depends on the finish you are looking for.

Sponsored Links
As alastairreid says, Easi-Fill is easy to sand- but the dust clings to everything. I tend to use Toupret Redlite. It is one of the light weight fillers but sands nicely and the dust just falls to the floor (rather than clinging to any and everything within a 2m radius).

When I fill chases, I fill with bonding first. Then I cut back about an inch of the old plaster skim away from the chase and apply scrim tape. Then if I'm already plastering somewhere, I multifinish the chase. If not, I use a filler and sand off with my Mirko sander connected to the dust extractor. I used to use Easi-Fill but found GTEC Easy Finish Xtra from Doves to be better still. Same purpose as Easi-Fill.

I have a mate that mixes half bonding and half multifinish and does one fill. When it dries, you get that faint crack between the new and old plaster. But he ain't bothered because he leaves it for the decorator!!

Don't forget to PVA/SBR the chase first.

When I fill chases, I fill with bonding first. Then I cut back about an inch of the old plaster skim away from the chase and apply scrim tape. Then if I'm already plastering somewhere, I multifinish the chase. If not, I use a filler and sand off with my Mirko sander connected to the dust extractor. I used to use Easi-Fill but found GTEC Easy Finish Xtra from Doves to be better still. Same purpose as Easi-Fill.

I have a mate that mixes half bonding and half multifinish and does one fill. When it dries, you get that faint crack between the new and old plaster. But he ain't bothered because he leaves it for the decorator!!

Don't forget to PVA/SBR the chase first.

Which dust extractor do you use? I have festool dust extractors none of them can deal with sanding lots of EasyFill. It just clogs the bags (hence preferring the Toupret redLite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back