Wall cracked through plaster and block, advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I am after some advice on repairs on a house that I have just moved into.
I had the house surveyed before buying and was given the "all clear" with regards to cracking/evidence of subsidence.
I decided to start work on the main bedroom and planned to chip back the cracks so that I could re-plaster and leave them with a decent finish. The majority of cracks seem to just be settling cracks as there has been very little work done on the property over the years.
On cutting back the plaster around a crack across the corner of the wall, I found that the breeze block behind had cracked through and in some places had broken up and I was able to remove chunks with my finger tips. In two places, as I picked out these loose chunks I got through to the cavity. It seems as though only one of the blocks is badly damaged with the others remaining solid. As you can see from the pictures, the crack runs down to the window sill and the brick that is exposed is slightly loose.
I have checked from the outside and the exterior wall is in good condition with no sign of cracking or bulging.
I am looking for some advice with regards to repair and hopefully leaving it in a state where it will not move any further. I had begun to cut a channel back to insert some helical wall ties across the crack and back fill with epoxy but is this the best method? If I put in the ties and then fill the main voids with cement and plaster over the top, am I likely to run into further issues?
Thanks for sticking with the long explanation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother crack stitching on the inside personally, outside looks spot on so I would consider the problem to be minor. Id just fill the cracks in the blockwork with mortar then plaster over personally - it would be pretty unlikely for there to be any ongoing problems.

(I am no expert, but am renovating a house that has required crack stitching and has suffered subsidence in the past).

As theVictorian, but I would add to cut back more of the plaster and place metal lath over the crack. Can get it on a roll from Wickes, B&Q etc amongst other places.
Usually I pin it with a few nails before covering with plaster. Probably Bonding or Hardwall and then either reskim the wall (or blend in) with multi-finish.
Remember scrim tape across the new plaster and existing also, before you skim.

I had quite a few cracks like this in my last house - had had little done since it was built in the 60s.
Have moved now, but they didn't come back within the 12 months I was there.

Nice one, cheers guys. Allayed some of my fears on the need to cut a load back and rebuild parts!

Sponsored Links
I agree with newby but would extend the ex-metal to about 300mm all around the crack, and probably "dry" pack the crack first with a 5-1 mix that is just wet enough to hold together when you squeeze it in your hand, maybe worth doubling up the ex-metal put plenty of p/board nails in to hold the ex-metal. Nail the first sheet on then nail the other one over the top of it. It may be belt and braces but better in the long run.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back