Wall/ Fan Conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
We have a fan in our en-suite in the corner to the right of the window.

In the corner opposite the fan will be a 900 quad tray.
The wall is having Abacus board dot and dabbed inside the tray. There is Plasterboard adjacent into the corner where the fan is.

Trouble is, there is no space to fit the 100mm fan now the dot and dab is encroaching by 29/30mm.

Can't go further from the corner with the fan due to the lintel.

The only solution I see is to remove the plasterboard and have a step in the wall where the Abacus ends just outside the enclosure.

Any ideas, please?

IMG_20201110_130839_017.jpg
IMG_20201110_131013_979.jpg

Sponsored Links
Must add that there was no way to get an inline fan in: there is a flat roof above and the joists go the wrong way.

Is there any way to make a 30mm step in a wall (more with tile on it!) pretty?

the hole in the wall looks quite roomy.

Could you put a fan inside the wall, with a grill over the outside concealing the fact that the fan is not centralised?

What are the dimensions of the hole?
example dimensions https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/SolerPalou/TD.htm

There is also (at least) one where the motor and fan are on the outside of the wall, and a duct and grill in the room.

Cheers, John.

11cm wide (to the edge of the plasterboard, 13 high and 18 deep (from wall surface to inner edge of outer leaf).

Sponsored Links
Envirovent SILMV100, which is the smallest in-line I know is still too big.

this is an example of an external wall mounted extractor. Monsoon, rather expensive.

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monsoon-...479930&hash=item3634a65d99:g:SZAAAOSwjW5erpAQ

but I think I saw something similar, much cheaper, on ebay when I was refitting a WC. Didn't need it in the end. It might possibly have been a stock clearance.

There is also an expensive one in the Soler & Palau catalogue, for kitchen hood use.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Arrrgghh!

Thinking the best thing would be to try and find a stainless trim strip to finish the step in the wall.

Maybe that won't look so bad?

if you just tile it, nobody except you will notice it.

You know me so well!!!!

That's what I'll do, then, thanks. At least I've sorted that one, with a little help, of course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back