1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Wall hanging toilet

Discussion in 'DIY Disasters' started by Tasha30, 21 Jan 2019.

1. Tasha30

Tasha30

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    any reason why there are cracked tiles around my wall hangin toilet? Is my toilet safe? Can you help?
    upload_2019-1-21_1-27-42.png upload_2019-1-21_1-27-42.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lots of possibles, tile backgroud insecure , even a tiny movement with someone’s weight on the loo will snap tile.
    Bolts thru tile in contact with tile , weight moving loo bolts snap tile .
    Is there movement on the loo?(excuse the pun).Do you know if the frame was secured to the wall at all four fixings firmly .?

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
  3. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Toilet will be safe probably the plasterboard or cement board wantwa supported properly or the tile didn't have an even bed of adhesive. The proper fix would be to replace the tile after stabilising the background in whatever way necessary.
    Ours had an optional pad to spread the load between the loo and wall if using tiles, i wonder if that would have helped yours

4. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a very small crack in my loo wall tiles. It doesn't particularly bother me and given that I fitted it I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

My toilet bolts to a metal frame which in turn is is bolted to the wall and floor and the tiles are fitted over 18mm plywood.

I did however work in a house where the "builder" had simply screwed the loo to a plaster board stud wall. The first time the client sat on the loo it bust its way through the plasterboard.

• Like Like x 2