Toilet problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am hoping someone can help me with this?
We are currently renting our home and the landlord wants to sell it, so we are looking at problems the house has and trying to figure costs etc… to see if it’s worth our time and money. So… the toilet in the bathroom is on a stud wall with the en-suite on the other side of this wall, with the toilet on that wall. The problem is when we flush one toilet it goes up the other. We know this because the en-suite is in the kids bedroom and they never use it but when we go in it has brown water an poop in it and it constantly smells. We have checked the toilet before and after using the other toilet and yes it’s definitely coming from the other toilet. So my questions are how is this possible? How do you fix it? And how much will it cost?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The soil pipe where both toilets discharge into is blocked, or full due to a blockage further down/further along. If they discharge into a manhole, remove the cover and check the flow there.

Alternatively, if it has always done this, it may be due to poor soil pipe layout.

Have you lifted the manhole cover to check for blockage in the drain, or asked your landlord to do it?

Blup

Houses have problems. You know about this one because you live there. If you were buying it you probably wouldn't spot this, but cost to rectify will be the same. When buying any property it is always prudent to expect to spend some £££ on it and have some contingency funds, so I wouldn't necessarily not buy if the price is right. For the landlord to sell to a sitting tenant he is already at least 1% on the right side by avoiding estate agent fees. I'm guessing that ensuite and stud walls, this is a fairly recent build, so it would have had to be built to regs, in which case the fix shouldn't be too difficult - it may be a blocked soil pipe/drain or possibly just a very poor layout, but unlikely to be massively expensive to fix.

Sponsored Links
I'm wondering if both toilet outlets are connected to the soil pipe via a T-piece type of arrangement. i.e. facing each other at the soil pipe connection instead of being on separate sweep elbows space apart, one being about 18" lower down the run. You may also need some sort of anti-syphon device to stop one toilet syphoning the other when it is flushed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back