Wall-hung basin - suitability?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing my bathroom and am considering a wall-hung basin.
The wall on which it would go is a solid breeze block wall, and I am wondering if this is a practical proposition. The existing pedestal sink waste and supply pipes run behind the pedestal and into the floor, but this would obviously look horrible with a wall-hung basin. Since I am going to put in a shower-bath with a curved side next to the sink, boxing in the pipes might also be quite tricky without making it look quite odd.
Should I revert to a pedestal design, or has anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I was thinking of a horizontal box, but your vertical box idea would do the job admirably, without encroaching on the side of the bath.
The bath we're after is the Freedom bath from the Bathroom Store, which looks roomy enough, though I take your point.
We prefer a shower anyway and would take the bath out altogether except for the fact that I believe it knocks thousands off the house price when you come to sell! If we were intending to keep the house for a long time it would be a different matter.

I've planning exactly the same - wall-mounted basin onto blockwork, which I don't want to chase out.
I'm using 500mm flexi tap tails which will fit straight onto the copper at the wall, sheathing the existing 32mm plastic waster pipe with a 40mm chrome pipe, and joining onto the new chromed bottle trap with a chromed compression elbow.
That way it will (hopefully) look like a deliberate feature...

Sponsored Links
hedgehog

Fitted one of the freedom baths a couple of months ago in a clients holiday home, stayed down there while I did the job, so used the bath. It was a bit narrow, not helped by the fact they also wanted a mixer tap with shower hose.

The double screen on the freedom is good, the Ideal standard one tends to splash a bit, just make sure you don't swing the screens into each other!

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back