Wall hung toilet bowls. Just how secure are they?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. The wife is currently in the 'just looking' stage of a new bathroom. That’ll soon change into the 'let’s buy' stage. This’ll be the fourth bloody bathroom since we’ve lived here. We're looking at the possibility of a wall hung toilet. I see that the pans are bolted to a frame which is bolted to th wall and floor but seriously, they look like they would snap as soon as I get my arse on it. Can they comfortably hold 15 stone without breaking? Presumably they have metal strengtheners in them and are not just solid ceramic or whatever it is they are made of? Are there any makes that are better than others? What about frames, are there good and bad ones out there? Any help, pointers or advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
IF you are the man with the Saniflo macerator then DON`T DO IT! I can`t tell you how much grief I go through removing the pans to get to the pump.

Lol. Yes, that’s me, but the built-in Sanislim is in the downstairs bog. I’m talking about the upstairs bathroom. One of those in the house is enough!

Lol. Yes, that’s me, but the built-in Sanislim is in the downstairs bog. I’m talking about the upstairs bathroom. One of those in the house is enough!
Thought it may be you and glad it`s not that room then.:D

Sponsored Links
They are indeed just a lump of ceramic bolted (clamped) to the frame, usually with stress absorbing plastic inserts. They're strong too, but a word of warning; the security of the frame to the wall and floor is or paramount importance. Imagine the torque generated by a 15 stone (100kg) ar*e sitting on the edge of the bowl, that is 50cm from its securing point, that's 50kg.m trying to pull the frame of the wall, and that's without any pan gymnastics.
In short, you won't break the pan, but a poor installation into a crappy wall will cause no end of bother down the line.

MM

Geberit and Vitra.

Fit loads of them.
It’s all about securing the frame.
If on a plasterboard wall... you’ll need a timber ground across 2 studs a a back plate to support the frame bolts and the floor bolts will also need something to chew into... one tip is to screw a couple of blocks of wood to the floor, behind the frame’s feet - all the way back to the wall, as a brace.

Here’s one I’m currently doing...

D399B53E-C9BA-4362-AB21-6E4AAF3ECF63.jpeg
4988576A-52C7-4D23-8A43-C8B46DA37177.jpeg

And for gawds sake make access to cistern possible for the future. ;)

I know, I`ve done enough of the pesky leaking valves but the flush pipes have a habit of leaking after awhile with the Gerberit.

Not had any yet (fingers crossed) but yes - that means a bit of surgery - what you get when no one wants to see services any more and it all has to be built-in!
Tiled bath panels with no access is another favourite :cautious:

Not had any yet (fingers crossed) but yes - that means a bit of surgery - what you get when no one wants to see services any more and it all has to be built-in!
Tiled bath panels with no access is another favourite :cautious:
Mate, when I started working with the munchers there was high level cisterns with all the room in the world and I could do 7 a day now everything is boxed in so most of the time it takes longer to get to them than it does to repair them. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back