Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to this so dont really know what im doing

I moved into a new house 3 months ago. Everytime I drill into the wall, and from the hole where the dryer vents loads of tiny polystyrene balls appear. A friend told me that they are just a few loose ends, and most of them should be glued to each other. 3 months on and they're still appearing. Should I be worried or should I tell the missus to hang the washing on the line?

Is there anything I can do to stop them?

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
whenever you make a hole in the wall you will have to line it with a sleeve. For the tumble-drier vent, stuff fibreglass insulation (as used in lofts) into the hole, and then mortar in a piece of soil pipe or duct.

It sounds like someone has installed cavity wall insulation using loose polystyrene balls. They are known to fall out and i don't think have been used for years. You can still buy them in big sacks, I believe they are used for making bean-bags (to sit on).

Sadly all the bits that fall out will cause the insulation to subside inside the walls losing insulation.

If any of your cavities are open at the top (and you can see them from the loft) i believe it is possible to pour balls into the cavities to top up. IIRC this once used to be a recommended way to do it.

However

if you have a more modern house and the cavities were insulated with slabs of plastic foam. then the only bits that fall out will be where it has been danaged e.g. by drilling into it. This is not a significant problem, just sweep up the bits.

Thanks very much for that, the wife will be pleased,especially with all the great weather we've been having recently. Ill venture into the loft tomorrow and scare the spiders (and whatever else lurks above)

The house is about 25 years old (like me) but im fairly certain they are all loose balls and not bits flaking off boards.

Thanks again

Anyone know if theres a decent gardening forum to go on?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back