Wall Mounted Bath Tap Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. My wall mounted bath tap is leaking at a joint beneath the large chrome nut on the left side. The dripping has gotten worse over the last month or so. I think what happened is the large circular disc came unscrewed from the wall and my Dad leant on the spout by mistake which pushed the tap down a bit. I’m a competent DIYer but have no idea how to fix this. I know I can do it. I just need some guidance.
FC03F9AA-B139-4285-BA64-E3C588F78FD8.jpeg
F57F64AA-E486-4CA0-927F-7292977A09F5.jpeg
FC03F9AA-B139-4285-BA64-E3C588F78FD8.jpeg
F57F64AA-E486-4CA0-927F-7292977A09F5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Turn off the water supplies to the valve. Undo both chrome nuts and remove the valve from the wall fittings. There are washers between the valve and the wall fittings. Replace the washers ,usually 3/4 inch. Clean both mating surfaces before fitting the new washers.

Hi Terryplumb. Thanks for your help. It sounds like an easy job. Can you please confirm...

Your reference to “valve” means the entire chrome tap?

Looking from the front, which direction to undo the chrome nuts? CW or ACW?

When the nuts are undone do i just pull the whole assembly toward me? Should it come off easily or could it be very difficult? It’s 14 years old.

My only concern about doing this is obtaining new washers. I will have to turn off the property’s water at the main stop cock (because even if the bath tap has its own stop cock it will be behind the bath panel which I can’t remove), so that means once I remove the tap I’m committed to have to find a place that sells the correct washer. Last time I tried that with the kitchen tap no where in my town sold any so i was in dire straits.

Yes valve is the whole thing.
Turn nuts anti clockwise. Should come off very easily ,undo each nut half a turn , repeatedly. ( Don't unscrew one nut fully in other words) hold the valve firmly ,as when nuts are released fully it may fall off under its own weight !!
3/4 inch washers are widely available in both rubber and fibre versions. Get both types . Yours will be one or the other ,but usually either will do.
What area do you live in ? Screwfix or tool station anywhere near you ?

Sponsored Links
Fantastic advice thanks. Yes i have both those stores. Guildford, Surrey.

Screwfix codes 5547J and 6039J are typical of fibre and rubber respectively. Unfortunately they are sold in packs of Ten and five.
Toolstation codes ,30349 and 88106, same things but pennies cheaper !!

Last edited:
EAD069E9-1D68-47C5-9BDA-66E3D047E4A1.jpeg
97D00F4F-8806-4547-826A-558F23621DEA.jpeg
Hi Terryplumb. I just wanted say thank you so much for your advice. I did the job successfully yesterday. I used fibre washers. Removing the tap was easy. One old rubber washer looked OK on the side that wasn’t leaking. On the leaking side the washer was knackered. It took me an hour to scrape the rubber from the threads as bits of it were stuck. I used tweezers to get into the threads and then toothbrush. Unbelievable effort. Then I cleaned it with vinegar. Putting it back was a nightmare because the threaded outlets from the wall did not line up with the tap outlets. The wall outlets had some play in them and with one only just on it’s thread I miraculously managed to get the other one lined up to screw on. I had to pull the tap whilst pushing on the wall outlet as hard as i could and whilst screwing in. I needed 3 hands. I didn’t think it was going to be possible. Obviously the fitter didn’t do a very good job. Done up equally on each side it leaked still but ai was able to do it up a bit more to stop that. I had to do them up very tight. Phew.

Good to know your sorted,thanks for letting us know.....proper little plumber now arnt you :D:D:cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back