Wall mounted Bathroom fan dripping??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This is the situation, please could you advise.

Bathroom is in a flat, with no windows, flat is in the middle of a block and has its own loft, the loft is quite large and access is good.

The fan has not run for around 3 years, and there has never been a problem, nothing has changed. untill now!

The fan has now started tripping, so I thought I would remove it and have a good look, the fan is a Axia Solo 100. it goes into a 90 degree rigid bend then it goes into a straight then a small flex, and then through the roof, so basically it runs vertical.

When I removed it there was a load of crap in there, looked like mud and twigs and things, I have not got up on the roof to have a look, its well high but it looks like it has a cap on, it is more of a flat box on the roof, and as it passes through the roof, its looks like a rectangle from the inside. anyway it drips when it has not even been raining so I dont think it damaged, but why would it just do it after 3 years!

Because it has not been run could this be the reason for the crap in it, can this happen?

There is no trap or pipe I can see? The soil pipe is right next to it in the loft, can I get a trap and connect it to this, one just below the other with a pipe in between?

The pipe is not lagged,so do I just wrap it with normal loft insulation, whats the best way to stop it moulting off

The wall mount axia with a timer is dead, will the VENT AXIA SOLO Timer be the right replacement size wise.

Thank you

Darren

Sponsored Links
You've not had a bird nesting in there have you?

Wrapping the duct with insulation should help reduce the condensation dripping through at the moment.

You can get insulation from the DIY sheds which is in a plastic jacket. I think it's called space blanket or something.

Just wrap this round the duct and secure it with string or tape or similar.

Thank you,

I was going to get some loft stuff, and cover it then just tape it in places.

You know it could have been a bird! it was all manky and nasty! how would it get it there! do you think the top might be damaged?

Darren

It might be worth checking.

Can you dismantle the duct anywhere in the loft and have a look up it?

Sponsored Links
housemouse.jpg

That mouse seems to be riding a bicycle!

Nope,that's 1ether a whacker or a lawn mower, you can see 1t adjust1ng he revs on 1t. :LOL:

P.S. spray the fan w1th wd 40, plug 1n and sp1n both ways, w1th a st1ck. 1f that dosen't work, that mouse could come 1n handy .. trundle: trundle: :LOL:

Just a thought l1bby

Why dont you find a letter i in a post, select it and do [control C]

The each time you need the letter i just hit [contrl V] ? ;)

can anyone answer the things I have asked.

Are the new solo fans a replacement for the old solo 100?

can the pipe be joined across to the soils?

What are the size of the vents, if it a bird or tree rat, it must be damaged up there? they can normally get in can they?

Darren

can anyone answer the things I have asked.

Any extractor duct will have condensation forming in it and vertical ducts are the worse as there is not enough air flow to push the moisture towards the outlet.

[quote[]Are the new solo fans a replacement for the old solo 100?[/quote] I don't know, look at online data for the units

can the pipe be joined across to the soils?
If you mean the soil pipe then the answer is NO. The fumes and smells from the soil pipe will come into your bath room.

What are the size of the vents, if it a bird or tree rat, it must be damaged up there? they can normally get in can they?
There should be a rodent proof grill or shutters on the outlet that prevent all but the most determined intruders from getting into the duct.

Don't you get suspicious when threads with dozens of posts in them that you don't remember seeing before suddenly appear?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back