Which Bathroom Fan ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get a bathroom fan installed into my to be fitted bathroom,i am looking at
this http://www.byretech.com/acatalog/chrome-bathroom-fans.html#a11

this http://www.iconfan.co.uk/icon/icon.asp

this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56613...ns/Vent-Axia-Eclipse-Bathroom-Fan-Timer-100mm

also i have been looking at the xpelair fans (although they are ugly things)

I like the vectaire (1st link) for its looks ,but have never heard of them ,are they a good make ?

I need a 4" fan that has a timer and is quiet
Any help would be very helpful
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Robin
I was confused before now im really lost
I want a small fan that looks good(as most do not )
It will be going through the wall onto the gable
the second link looks nothing like the others (is there a cover for it?)
Is the icon one easy to fit?
Im stuck now
Please could you walk me through it

Sorry i 'm not really explaining myself properly

I have a largish bathroom
1 window to the right
planning to put a 4" fan on wall facing door next to a walk in shower

I have been told xpelair are the best ones to go for but they are ugly

I quite like the icon fans,will the icon30 (from robins reply ) be ok?

Does anyone know of a slimline chrome fan that will do the job?

I would like a quiet fan ,but don't quite know whether 31db is much quieter than say 40 db

I am told a run on timer is better so am planning to go with that whatever fan i get

Sorry for being a nightmare but i want to get this right first time and by asking i hope to not get my fingers burnt( no pun intended)
Thanks for any suggestions

Thanks robin

will go with that one wife likes it so its a winner

one last question then im out of your hair

does the module timer just fit in the fan?

Thanks again its appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes, the module just plugs into the fan underneath the front over.

Hi robin took your advise and have ordered an airflow icon 30 with timer.

I also got a cavity wall kit although ive not got a cavity wall just a solid brick wall.

Is this the right thing to get it has a pipe and grill on the end ?

Please let me know as then this part of the bathroom can be put to bed.

thanks for all your help in the matter its appreciated

I am looking to get a bathroom fan installed into my to be fitted bathroom,
Will you be installing it yourself, or will it be done by a registered electrician?

Also that Icon fan is low voltage, not extra-low, so which zone in the bathroom will it be going in, and does the manufacturer say that it's suitable for that zone?

An electrician is putting it in,but he has'nt seen the fan or know which i have picked
Now im confused it doesnt say anywhere on any site that this is low voltage
What does that mean anyway?
The electrician was planning to put the fan onto the ceiling lights so it comes on when the lights do is this still k to do that with this fan?
Heres the link to the actual fan i have ordered

http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/doc/12/vid/2503/AIRFLOW_ICON30_BATHROOM_FAN.html

It says 230/240 volt lt so im miffed as to why its low voltage .They do a selv unit but i have not ordered that one
The fan is going onto an outside wall next to a shower maybe 4ft away from the door and high up near the ceiling
the pdf file shows a picture of the fan on the wall outside which is what i intend doing.page 4 of 6 left hand picture

http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/media/uploads/92c5d2193b0fc575735c0c7b7feb8e8e.pdf

Thanks for you help .but can you please confirm what i have ordered is suitable

Robin thanks for your reply did'nt see it until i had finished replying to sheds comment,can you also confirm this is the right fan
Im getting paranoid about the %^&*$% thing now

Come on guys help a poor soul out
if i have ordered the wrong fan i will need to change it pretty quickly.
I do appreciate all the help
I know that sounds impatient but i would like to get it right first time,as my 120 year old victorian terrace has a nasty habit of throwing up suprises and anything i can do to minimalise it helps
Thanks again for continued help

Sometimes people forget what this forum's for, I suspect...

Low voltage is what electricians call mains voltage. It's not really that they are trying to impress, it's just what the regulations call it.

From your description it appears that the fan will be fitted in zone 2, which calls for an IPX4 rating. The fan you have ordered has this rating.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the reply mate
So im good to go?
i know you guys know your stuff and appreciate all you do to help.
but remember there is some of us that need baby step guidance (lol).
I have just gogled bathroom zones and am confident that it is zone 2 (theres a first me confident).
Cheers for your help

Sorry - this one dropped down the back of the desk for a while, but glad to see it's been sorted.

Now im confused it doesnt say anywhere on any site that this is low voltage
What does that mean anyway?
The IEC definitions of voltage bands are:
  • Extra Low Voltage: AC below 50V and DC below 120V
  • Low Voltage: 50 - 1000V AC or 120 - 1500V DC
  • Medium voltage: 1kV - 35kV
  • High voltage: 35kV - 230kV
  • Extra-high voltage: >230kV
This is not some pedantic technical point - if you start getting involved in doing your own electrical work, and start learning about regulations etc you'll come across references to "Low voltage", and it'll be no good you thinking that that means 12V...

Ban all sheds Was'nt suggesting your were being pedantic.i am getting a qualified electrician to install the fan so hopefully all will be good,as i say i do appreciate all the comments but sometimes qualified people tend to think we are all in the know(im plainly not) and i for 1 need to told in less than technical terms.So thankyou for your help i will post again and let you know the outcome(hopefully it will be a good one)
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back