Wall Mounted Electric Heater Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here and hope you can help me.

I have just had an extension done and looking for a wall mounted electric heater, can someone please recommend one.
Ideally I would like a powerful one and a stylish one, how many Watts do I need to be looking at?

I have been searching the net and come across this site on which I like a few http://www.airandwatercentre.com/store/SEURLF/ASP/SFS/CID.39/SFE/productcategories.htm

What is the difference between electric and oil filled electric heaters and do oil filled give out more heat?

I'm in West Yorkshire, anyone know any shops round here that I can pop into?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How big is the room ? How well insulated are the walls.

You need to find out how much heat you need. The builder may have a set of figures for heat loss from the calculation of U value ( how good the walls and ceiling are at not losing heat ) which the building inspector may have asked for. But probaly not.

So buy or borrow a fan heater and see if it can heat the room fast enough for you on the first setting which is probably one kilowatt. If it does in this cold weather then a one kilowatt ( or two 500 watt ) heaters will be adequate.

All electric heaters give out the same amount of heat per Kilowatt as electric heaters do not waste heat in flue gases. Oil filled tend to give a more constant heat as they have thermal store in the oil which smooths out the on off of the thermostat

Also what sort of room is it?

Kitchen, lounge bathroom etc

Which bit of West Yorks are you in?

I have an oil radiator - very efficient. on the lowest setting (400w) it heats my room adequately. And on 600w it heats it comfortably in the coldest weather. Silent and smell-less operation. Cant recommend them enough. :D

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
I have an oil radiator - very efficient. on the lowest setting (400w) it heats my room adequately. And on 600w it heats it comfortably in the coldest weather. Silent and smell-less operation. Cant recommend them enough. :D
How big a room?(cubic)

Thanks for all your replies.

The room is 5.7 metres long by 3.7 metres wides and the height is 2.4 metres.

To go into more detail what we have done is built a link from my house to the garage so now converted the garage into a kitchen, it is for this room I'm looking for a heater.

The ceiling is insulated however the walls are not but they do have two walls, breeze block on the inside and bricks on the outside, please can you recommend heaters that you think will keep this room warm.

Thanks

Please can you give me recommendations on which electric heater to buy.

Thanks

For that size I think you'll need a 2kW or 3kW at each end. If you can get one with a selectable fan, that will help warm up the middle of the room, but if you can turn it off when up to temp that will save noise.

Usually called "panel heaters" or "convector heaters" and range from about £30 to £60 to £120

There area any amount of them available. I've been happy with deLonghi ones. You will want a power selector (usually they have 2 elements, so you can have the small element, or the large one, or both). They all have thermostats to save you wasting energy once up to temp. Avoid ones with their own timer, when it goes wrong you will have to junk the hetaer. They're cheap enough that you don't need to worry much. Avoid fan heaters as they're noisy and they wear out.

They usually come with brackets so you can fasten them to the wall instead of standingf on the floor where they might get knocked over.

Any electrical supplier, department store, hardware store or catalogue showroom will have plenty.

I think it was a mistake not to insulate the walls.

The cheaper ones will be something like this
p4362752_l.jpg

Medium priced ones like this
p3036031_l.jpg

Hi JohnD,

Thanks for your reply,

Can you please post the link of the two you have mentioned above so that I can see where they are available at and also see the price.

I quite like this one from Argos, priced at £69.99 but is only 800w – Delonghi Slimline Oil filled Panel Heater. I think this is the same one I mentioned in the first post which is at £85 excluding vat at airandwatercentre.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ers+and+coolers>C$Brand=DeLonghi.DeLonghi.htm

or this Delonghi 3kw Convector Heater at £59.99 – I don’t this can be wall mounted but gives out more heat
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ers+and+coolers>C$Brand=DeLonghi.DeLonghi.htm

Could I get away with fitting two Delonghi 800w?

Comment from airand water website:

800W Delonghi Oil Filled Wall Panel Heater
Only 3cm deep & can be wall mounted or floor standing
Price: £85.00 exVAT

This 800W slimline Delonghi panel heater has smooth, rounded corners and an unobtrusive design. It is ideal for creating background warmth in small rooms.

It is oil filled for extra heat retention and has economy settings for very low running costs. On Eco mode this panel heater costs around 3p per hour to run.

At just 3cm deep this wall mounted panel heater can fit unobtrusively into the smallest of rooms. It comes complete with brackets and fixing kit for wall mounting and feet for free-standing making it very versatile.

This Delonghi wall mounted panel heater comes with a 3 years manufacturer's guarantee, which is an excellent indication of just how good the quality of this panel heater is.

Thanks

JohnD said:
I think it was a mistake not to insulate the walls.

Can it do much harm?

Is it true that older houses did not have any insulation at all as house were built without insulation in them days unless they had it insulated later on.

I have heard about home insulaltors where they drill holes in the brickwork and fill the cavity with wool, should I still be able to do this if I think the room is not warming enough.

Even before the conversion, it did not feel to cold and that was with the garage door in place and no ceiling insulation so now the garage door has been bricked up and the ceiling insulated.

Thanks

I don't think 2 x 800W will be enough for a room that side with 3 outside walls.

Any electrical supplier, department store, hardware store or catalogue showroom will have a variety. Just have a browse around. I'm not going to advertise any dealers. You could even start by buying one cheap heater and see how it suits you. It will always be handy to have a spare heater about the house.

Thanks JohnD,

I appreciate that you do not want to advertise any retailers, but can you please let me know the make/model number of the second one (medium) in your post.

Right click on the image, then click properties, that'll give the game away ;) :LOL:

TLC are a good supplier.

I have a few Dimplex panel heaters, they work well and have timers for on / off, manual overide and thermostatic control.

They will be fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back