Choosing the right electric heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a new flat owner with absolutely no home maintenance experience. I am getting conflicting advice from different electricians regarding appropriate heater for my bedroom, and would appreciate some advice.

This is all-electric flat, with no option for gas, so I have to do electric. There is an economy 7 meter and a couple of storage heaters in the living room and hall, but a basic panel heater in the bedroom. I need to keep the room consistently warm while I am in the flat (evenings, night and morning) due to health issues. Cost is obviously a consideration, but ultimately I have to do what it takes to keep warm.

In addition, I need it very quiet - my sleep is disturbed as it is with pain an other problems, and even small amounts of noise in the bedroom are an issue.

Currently there is Dimplex panel heater mounted in the bedroom, which produces constant noise. The noise appears to be the fan inside, rather than a timer. All people who have seen it agree that it needs replacing, but with what? One suggested modern Dimplex heaters with electronic timers. The other one says that all panel heaters have fans inside, and therefore my only quiet option is an oil-filled radiator to mount on the wall.

I am having a hard time sorting through these claims. As I understand it, the running costs should be about the same, but oil-filled heaters take longer to heat up. Also, I kind of like the idea of a thermostat, since then I can set up an optimal temperature for myself and leave it alone. In my previous flat, there were storage heaters, which were quiet, but I was always either too cold or too hot, never could guess the setup right.
But it seems more difficult to find thermostatically controlled oil-filled options.

So is it true that oil-filled ones are really the only noiseless ones? What else should I be thinking about in this situation?

Sponsored Links
One suggested modern Dimplex heaters with electronic timers. The other one says that all panel heaters have fans inside, and therefore my only quiet option is an oil-filled radiator to mount on the wall.

The second electrician does not know what he is talking about.
Most convector heaters do not have fans.
Sparky number 1 has it correct. Use a Dimplex EPX heater with an integral plug-in timer. Silent and good product.

Range can be seen at http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Dimplex_EVX/index.html

There is a guide to tell you what size heater to buy at the Dimplex web site.

You want one with an electronic thermostat, one with a bimetallic stat will go clicky clicky clicky all night long.

We have the EPX heaters at work, with the plug in timers. The thermostats are silent - no clicking at all. The timers are also silent - no clicking. Fast warm up too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I totally didn't realize that thermostats can be noisy as well. This all makes a lot of sense.

Another question, where to buy them? Is TLC direct a reliable supplier? I checked the places I know, like Screwfix, and they don't have those heaters, so I am not sure how to source one reliably.

I have used TLC myself numerous times in the past. Every time has been quick and trouble free. I recommend them.

By the way, get the biggest power heater you can, so its not working too hard. It wont use any more electric than a lower power heater - it takes the same energy to heat a room.

convector heaters I've found can make the air very dry, so if that's a problem for your condition then the oil filled rad would be best..

while the oil filled rad does take longer to warm up, you sound like it will always be on anyway so that's not a problem..

I had both in my room at "home" ( where I grew up ) as the front bedroosm didn't have any central heating vents, and can say that I much prefered the oil filled rad..

convector heaters I've found can make the air very dry, so if that's a problem for your condition then the oil filled rad would be best..

while the oil filled rad does take longer to warm up, you sound like it will always be on anyway so that's not a problem..

I had both in my room at "home" ( where I grew up ) as the front bedroosm didn't have any central heating vents, and can say that I much prefered the oil filled rad..
Oil filled rads heat by convection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back