Wall mounting electric fire, currently open breast.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We have removed a back boiler from the chimney breast in the living room, so now have a big hole, although neatly square. It's too small for a log burner, which we thought might have been fun but the associated costs of widening the breast will probably make it prohibitively expensive for now.

I don't really want to brick up the hole if possible so was wondering what my options are to cover it up and allow a wall mounted electric fire to be hung on the wall. Would something like a timber frame, secured inside the breast, with plasterboard and a skim on top, do the job? Thus I can mount the fire to the wall into the battens under the plaster.

This would be easily reversible should we decide to try for the logburner in the future.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi there
Yes you can do as you say, Make a wood frame around the opening,but i would suggest setting it back by the thickness of a piece of plywood +the thickness of you plasterboard,then when you come to hang fire you will have plenty of choice for fixing to the board,do remember to leave a vent at bottom for ventilation for chimmeny

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back