wall not too sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I am doing up my bathroom and got rid of old tiles and wall paper. In doing so, not only the finishing plaster was not sound and therefore i had to remove nearly most of it but also i realized that a section of bonding plaster is not properly bond to the exterior brick wall. It is not come off however when i push it, there is some movement but as i said, only a small section. The house is an old house built in 1910 so the exterior walls are not insulated and because of that in winter there is quite a lot of condensation forming on the exterior wall. As i said the bathroom is tiny, so no way i can build a stud wall. Would it be ok to screw a sheet of plasterboard direct onto the existing plaster so that, at least, it will make a sounder surface? I know it is probably not the proper way to do it as that will not cure condensation, however as i do not want to knock the entire house down, i am looking for possible solutions although not ideal if you see what i mean. Just for your info, the wall will be tiled up to the middle with 200 by 250 ceramic tiles ( 1 square meter weighs about 10 kg so not too heavy))and painted from the middle to the ceiling. Also the old tiles had been there for about 15 years and never fell off....mind you i never banged into them though!! Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
you could drill, plug and screw the boards on to the brick work, but you would not get a straight and flat wall. Tiling requires straight, flat walls to look anything like decent, if you've done tiling before, you should know how critical straight walls are.

It would very annoying for you if you spend all that time and money, just to end up with something that looks like a real cock up.

The right way is to take off ALL the loose plaster and patch it up, if all of the plaster comes off then so be it. If you are going to do the tiling your self, then i believe your better off getting a good plasterer in to patch, or re-plaster the walls for you.

Ask around your friends to recommend a good local plasterer, all ways use tradesmen who come recommended. If you haven't seen the Cowboy builders program, then watch it before you get your plaster in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back