Wall Papering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just stripped a bedroom of wallpaper. In a lot of areas the paint has come off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.

I am going to re wallpaper the room, should I do anything to the walls to cover/protect the plaster or can I paper straight on to it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All depends on what type of wallcovering you are going hang. So what type and make of wallcovering are you going to hang ?

Just give the walls a coat of emulsion and that will do the trick. I've just done the same in my lounge and followed up with lining paper then wallpaper. :)

Third_Eye said:
All depends on what type of wallcovering you are going hang. So what type and make of wallcovering are you going to hang ?

Hi,

Super fresco... I have prepared the walls, they are in good order, 70% of the walls the old magnolia has gone leaving bare plaster

Regards

Sponsored Links
wouldnt emulsion walls; myself.

better to fill any scabs n holes with easy fill 'gyproc', n then seal the walls with pva n water, n use ur fresco. bewty :)

Is it an 'Finished Super Fresco' or an 'Super Fresco'. What i mean is are u planning to emulsion over the Fresco ?

No plans to emulsion over wallpaper,

My concern is when the wife wants new wallpaper in a couple of year/months time, will I be creating a problem for myself by papering straight onto the plaster.

Cheers

Super fresco is lovely paper to hang, is it graham and browne paper?, you cannot go wrong hanging that.

Tip is to prepare the walls before papering,if you have bare plaster, then its advisable to do your prep as normal, then size the walls prior to papering.
just make up a thinnish solution of paste and whack it on all the walls, either the night before, or a good few hours prior to papering, this will leave like a film on the walls, so when you come to pasting and papering your lengths, you will have more movement sliding your length into place, and it wont stick fast on the bare plaster.
also will make life easier if and when you come to strip the paper in the future. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back