wall plate fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing the old corrugated roof from some sheds. It's a very low pitch pent roof (just under 10deg) made of single skin blockwork with a couple of courses of brick to make the pitch. It has a single joist centrally, the length is about 2.3m. Then I'm planning to use a solid roof, poss 18mm OSB, covered with Onduline type sheets (because of the low pitch).

I'm planning to replace the rotten wall plates front and back, bedded on mortar (some on to blockwork and the other on to brick course) and I have a couple of questions.

- Should I try and bolt through the wall plates (in to blockwork and brick) and then use L-Shaped straps (as it's only single skin).

- Do you ever run wall plates all the way around (i.e. down the sloping sides)? Is this a daft idea?

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
Not my area but I'll chip in
Wall plates to support roof timbers. Not needed on slopes but I would to keep weather tight as they will fill gap.
I'd treat timber with clear primer preserver.
L straps will be enough.
I'd put timber going across roof as well as roof supports on a single skin for the structure support I think.

If you put an internal ceiling you will need ventilation in roof space to stop condensation

I am removing the old corrugated roof from some sheds. It's a very low pitch pent roof (just under 10deg) made of single skin blockwork with a couple of courses of brick to make the pitch. It has a single joist centrally, the length is about 2.3m. Then I'm planning to use a solid roof, poss 18mm OSB, covered with Onduline type sheets (because of the low pitch).

I'm planning to replace the rotten wall plates front and back, bedded on mortar (some on to blockwork and the other on to brick course) and I have a couple of questions.

- Should I try and bolt through the wall plates (in to blockwork and brick) and then use L-Shaped straps (as it's only single skin).

- Do you ever run wall plates all the way around (i.e. down the sloping sides)? Is this a daft idea?

Thanks

Simon
Wall plates tend to wiggle wee bit when fitting cut roof rafters etc, and can dislodge the top course of blocks, if things get too tight. We do fix ours when fitting trusses though as these are stable elements with little lateral push. With cut roof plates, we just use temporary strapping, i.e. a length of timber across the plates etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back